Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon battery question

Canon battery question

I have a Canon Rebel XSi camera and want to get an extra battery. The after market batteries are half of what Canon wants for the LP-E5. Do you pay more for the Canon name? Are the after market batteries as good as OEM?

Thanks for your opinions.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I have the Canon T1i and a couple of years ago picked up 2 batteries from Newegg. They were not the Canon brand but I figured I would give them a try because of the huge price difference. I use my camera a lot and to be honest - I never noticed a difference between OEM or after market batteries! Glad I got them!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I bought an extra battery for my 20d off of ebay. It weighs about 1/3 less than the Canon battery.

John

You are better off going to Amazon. I stay away from Ebay for items such as that. Many aftermarket batteries for Canon (especially video cams) do not have the chip in them that interacts with the camera to give accurate charge info. Hence a lower price.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I have the Canon T1i and a couple of years ago picked up 2 batteries from Newegg. They were not the Canon brand but I figured I would give them a try because of the huge price difference. I use my camera a lot and to be honest - I never noticed a difference between OEM or after market batteries! Glad I got them!
    +1 on NewEgg - my go to electronics purveyor.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You are better off going to Amazon. I stay away from Ebay for items such as that. Many aftermarket batteries for Canon (especially video cams) do not have the chip in them that interacts with the camera to give accurate charge info. Hence a lower price.
    I checked amazon. There are plenty of knockoffs there, too.

While I prefer OEM batteries for my Nikon gear, I have had good results with a third party batteries, too. But you have to be really careful...there are a lot of, um...products resembling bovine excitement on the market. When I have bought third party batteries, I did it through a reputable camera store which for me is usually BH Photo. I read the reviews carefully. This is one thing I don't trust buying on Amazon including basing on reviews.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the tips guys! Very good information from all.

I would reccomend BH Photo as well I bought all of my equipment form them and loved the customer service.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    All batteries are not created equal as far as longevity. The best I have found are from Blue Nook and are the Wasabi Power battery (with Japanese cells). Just got a couple of XA25 pro cameras for church, so we don't need them yet, but when we do, that is where I will go. They claim to have the chip. A Canon BP828 prices out at $124, the Wasabi BP828's are $33. They were the best of any we found in using our previous JVC cameras over 14 years.
    NOW you tell me...

Oooops......wrong thread.

I thought maybe we were back on the Civil War, and the cannon battery at Ft. Sumter.

My mistake................carry on.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Good one Kent.

LOL

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Good one Kent.

LOL
    Well.........Raymond..........

I have to sheepishly give you an apology - I saw the subject and the camera name never occurred to me. I honestly thought you had misspelled the word.

Sooooo....after I clicked on it............well, I couldn't stop. Had to execute the mission, as it were.

Please accept my humble apology for doubting your spelling skills, and also - thanks for enjoying the joke.

Kent

PS - I did think it was kind of funny, though - glad you appreciated it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Spelling skills here? LOL. I am the king of tpyos? I usually try to get them before I post anything but sometimes it just does not happen.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    As my son said when I asked the same question, he replied do you want to risk a $500+ camera to save a few bucks on a battery. I purchased real canon batteries and they have performed well for over 4 years so far.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't know if a fake Canon battery could damage the camera, but I know the knockoffs I bought weighed about 1/3 less and had about 1/3 less capacity. The pair costs less then 1/2 of 1 genuine Canon battery. For me, I'm ok with it, this time.

Speaking of that, some of the fakes sure look a lot like the real thing, down to the small details. I compared my new ones to the old one. Don't decide if its real or fake on price alone.

John