Thread: Resaw King blades

Resaw King blades

Good morning gentlemen, purveyors of the truth and tasters of fine wines. Having purchased a Grizzly G0514XF my question is are these Resaw King blades worth the money, and does it make that much of a difference if the are 3/4," 1" or 1 1/4" wide? Most of my resawing will be hardwood 6 to 12" wide and 4/4 down to 2/4. Also does anyone know what model of the Carter blade stabilizer will fit this saw? They sent me the CTR5 and that wasn't it. Thank you, appreciate your wisdom. Tom.

I quit using the Resaw Kings and went with the cheaper brands the second time I ruined a blade because of embedded steel in the wood I was cutting. I feel better losing $160 than $280.

I can't speak about other blades because I have not done much by way of testing alternatives. My every day blade on my Laguna is a 3/4" Resaw King. I only change it out for more delicate work. It is my rip blade and my resaw blade for nearly everything I do. It is more versatile as an ED use blade than the 1" but I think if I were to be doing more resaw work as you describe I would be inclined to mount the 1" Resaw King rather than the 3/4". Tension it properly and it will resaw like a King for you.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

i run a 1" rsk on my mm16. use almost xclusively for resawing exotics - usually 6"-10" - into veneers. it has proven to be the most dependable blade - and it can be resharpened. i also run laguna ceramic guides which i think provide the best support for the blade - went through euros & carters.
    jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I can't speak about other blades because I have not done much by way of testing alternatives. My every day blade on my Laguna is a 3/4" Resaw King. I only change it out for more delicate work. It is my rip blade and my resaw blade for nearly everything I do. It is more versatile as an ED use blade than the 1" but I think if I were to be doing more resaw work as you describe I would be inclined to mount the 1" Resaw King rather than the 3/4". Tension it properly and it will resaw like a King for you.
    +1.

I do exactly as Sam does, but on my Laguna SUV14. The larger majority of my Bandsaw work is resawing. Usually 6-10" range, sometimes more.

Still lusting after a bigger saw, however.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use RK's on my 16" dedicated horizontal resaw. Best band that I have used for resaw ing and worth the $ (300 per band for my machine).

before I switched to RK's I used Lennox tri-masters. They do a good job but the RK leaves a smoother surface and has a narrower kerf. Usually I only have to sand .015 per side to remove the kerf marks from the ZrK. The Lennox required .030.

I have 2 RK's (1 1/4") for my 24" Laguna, and I never use them. They cut wayyy too slow for my liking. Anymore, I use nothing but a 1/2" 3tpi for about everything, including resawing.I am rarely ever trying to get a smooth as glass finish off the bandsaw, since it will be going through the wide belt sander or planer afterwards.

I set my Griz 17" HD (G0513) up for resawing and have had my RK on since then and thats been years. I can sing their praises enough. I use timberwolf blades for all cutting but the finish of the cut from a RK is unreal. And, if you call them and ask to speak to a salesman and mention you are a creaker and they will give you a big discount.

Good luck.

I like my RK. I had trouble getting one with a good weld, but once I got it, it's a great blade. I have a couple of them here. I don't think you'll see a lot of difference between the 3/4" and 1" blades. They do cut slow, with a lot of pressure, but they leave a finish about the same as a giant table saw. When it's working right, it's hard to believe it came off a band saw.

Different blades for different uses. RSK is great for small kerfs and really clean finish…..but cuts slowly. If your just wanting to move production along a bit faster and not worried as much about the cut quality, a more aggressive blade like the ones from Lenox will get the job done.

good luck,
    JeffD

My first 1 1/4" RK blade broke. the finish was so great for veneers once I got it dialed in, that I bought another one. My understanding is that I don't need that wide a blade for my MM16.

I have the 14 SUV and two 1" RK blades - love 'em! Only one has been on the saw (4 months) and the other is still in the package. I resaw for guitar backs, tops, sides and occasionally veneers, and like others have said, the finish is very smooth and I only have to take a few passes through the sander to clean the surfaces up. The cutting speed is decent and I'm not in a production shop so even if it isn't the fastest cut available I'm fully content.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Laguna ReSaw King blades - Buy 2 get one Free, LTO...

I could likely make use of two, but owning three resharpenable carbide tipped band saw blades is a big investment to have mostly hanging on the wall... Anyone located on the mid-Atlantic coast care to go in on an order for 1" width 2-3 TPI Variable pitch blades in the range of eleven foot length at 30% off their usual cost of $200 each? Laguna direct offer said to be good until end of the month. PM me...