Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast Cap Flat Back Tape

Fast Cap Flat Back Tape

Anyone have one of these? How do you like it, would you purchase again.

Link to it: http://amazon.com/FastCap-Standby-Fl...flat+back+tape

Thanks for your input.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I bought one a few months ago based on some good reviews on this forum. It was cheap but I didn't like it. The tape hook doesn't "hold on" so well that when I unreel the tape as if I'm measuring something long, the hook would slip off. The tape itself is too fexible and no stiffness to keep the hook from slipping off the substrate. What happens is the tape reels in so fast and the hook catches and whips my fingers. I've already had a couple cuts/ bruises from this. Threw it out. I might have a different story with a "stiff" tape.

I have one that I seldom use, but I'm glad to have it.

John

I have the 'storypole' version, nice for layout on flat shorter work, use it to wrap around columns and the like for marking cuts and good for laying out/measuring curved surfaces.
    It does not replace the std. rigid tapes, more of a job specific type tool.

Thinking of it for laying out sheet goods,don't know that I would have a use for using it on round objects. Guess I have gotten along without something like this so I am on the fence as to whether I really need it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I have one, I used it a few times. It is okay, but it doesn't want to lay flat unless you stretch it. It seldom gets used now.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Anyone have one of these? How do you like it, would you purchase again.

Link to it: http://amazon.com/FastCap-Standby-Fl...flat+back+tape

Thanks for your input.

Guess I'm in the minority, I have one and like it for most things. A minor additional benefit to me is the pencil sharpener on the side of it.

I have one and like it for layout as it lays flat and easy to mark measurements. I have others that are regular tapes and they work well.

In my business, we sometimes build curved cabinets. For them it's the cat's meow! Own two, one in truck, and other in shop.

I have, use, and like it. As stated earlier for curved objects, works better than any normal tape because you can wrap it round the curve, something a normal tape won't do. Also agree with the first reply about it not wanting to hook onto an object very well and the excessive whip when you let it reel in. All said and done, I'd buy another if mine dies or goes AWOL.

Clint

It's not an every day tool and was never designed to be. But when you need to measure a curve or just do really accurate layout it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    I bought one a few months ago based on some good reviews on this forum. It was cheap but I didn't like it. The tape hook doesn't "hold on" so well that when I unreel the tape as if I'm measuring something long, the hook would slip off. The tape itself is too fexible and no stiffness to keep the hook from slipping off the substrate. What happens is the tape reels in so fast and the hook catches and whips my fingers. I've already had a couple cuts/ bruises from this. Threw it out. I might have a different story with a "stiff" tape.
    I agree with what Bill said. It has become my shop pencil sharpener.

I got one on accident at a wood craft some time ago, wound up in my bag, was on counter, they though I was buying it and I wasn't paying attention. I keep it in my work tool box, I find it handy for doing long story poles and layouts and for measuring lengths on curved work that are hard to measure with a rigid tape. I have found the hook is easily dislodged, I use a spring clamp to hold it to long story poles. At this point having found a use for it I'd probably buy one if I didn't own one. But not sure its useful for everyone, and certainly not a can't live without it item.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I like mine. Makes it easier to get accurate measurements by laying flat.

Not for everything, but clearly has it's purpose.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a Fastcap flat-back tape but I never use it. Mine has the scale only on one side which I found inconvenient and the flat-back feature doesn't do anything for me. I do have a Fastcap, standard, Lefty/Righty tape measure that I use ALL the time, carry it in my shop apron in fact.