Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twins! Pair of LN #4 1/2 Bronze Anniv Planes- sequentially #'d! Not for sale.

Blog Entries

The Twins! Pair of LN #4 1/2 Bronze Anniv Planes- sequentially #'d! Not for sale.

THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE!!! IF I EVER DO DECIDE TO SELL, I'LL LIST IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.

NOTE: I had an earlier thread, but it was deleted because I wasn't clear enough that these are not for sale. I got a note from Bruce Page that it appeared to be a thinly veiled sale thread. I did not intend to give that impression. Sorry about that. He didn't move it to the classifieds because I had apparently forgotten to renew my membership here. That's been fixed. I've been a member for years. Most of you know me as Gregory of Sherwood Forest on other forums. My thanks to Bruce for letting me know my error.

Here's the gist;

In 2006 Lie-Nielsen released one of the most collectible and celebrated planes of all time. The LIE-NIELSEN 25TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION BRONZE No. 4 1/2 SMOOTHING PLANE. This was limited to 500 and by all accounts, sold out in record time. Many people have pined and kicked themselves stoutly in anguish after not being able to get even one.

Well, not long ago, I was able to acquire not one, but two of these planes. Additionally, they are TWO IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER, numbered 387 and 388. These have become known as "The Twins". They are in pristine, UNOPENED condition, still sealed in the blue protective rust inhibiting bags. The boxes are also in MINT condition. The protective bags haven't even been removed from the boxes. They've lain there since leaving the factory. I even have the original box they were shipped from LN in, with the return label intact and addressed to the original owner. Provenance, that is. To my knowledge, they may be the only two of these that are sequentially numbered unopened planes and owned by one person.

AGAIN, THESE ARE NOT CURRENTLY FOR SALE!! I am looking for opinions as to whether folks think these should be forever kept together as a set, merely because they have sequential numbers. Would that increase the value over two not having sequential numbers?? I do need to get these insured. Interested in your opinions. Thanks!

My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Blog Entries
    My thanks to Ken for moving this post here.

Well, my opinion is that you sound more excited about these than anyone else is likely to be.

Maybe you should have them bronzed.

Oh wait ...

These were made to be used were they not? If there is a market for them as a collectable then I suppose the 'Twins' have value, but that's hard for me to imagine.

Good for you - you have a unique collector's item. Very nice.

Do you collect other valuable/unique planes / hand tools? If so - Would love to see your collection.

As for me.........I'd be cashed out by now. At my position on the space-time continuum, collectible unused tools in boxes on the shelf - - - does not compute. I'd want users. I have a set of LN planes - my 4-1/2 is steel - with no open slots available nor needed.

However, if I could pick up a quick couple-three thousand simoleons, I'd be long gone, trying to decide between a new bandsaw and a call to Philp Marcou. Holtey is not in the cards, unless something crazy happens on the sale. Either way, they would be put to use, not set on a shelf.

But - to each his own.

Siiiiigh....just a dream. Won't ever happen. Heck - I'm still waiting to get a date with Elle Macpherson.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Well, my opinion is that you sound more excited about these than anyone else is likely to be.
    My sentiments exactly. I just suffered through this same post on a competing forum.

Blog Entries
    Hi Dave, I guess I am a bit excited over the find. I enjoy rusthunting and finding tools in the wild. While these don't qualify as 'rust', they are well made hand planes. I may end up using one of them, but I didn't want rip them open without giving this any thought. The original owner kept them pristine for the last 9 years and for good reason. You'd have to ask Tom Lie-Nielsen if he had these made for the sole purpose of them being used. I honestly don't know, I do know that they were a limited edition and LE's are generally thought to be made for collectible value. They have increased in value.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I just suffered through this same post on a competing forum.
    Sorry to intrude on your day, Joe. I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible.

Just out of curiosity, what forum actually competes with this one? I thought they were all useful and all are around to help each other. It's the way of woodworkers. They aren't selling anything. Maybe next time, just don't open the thread???

Thats a neat find Greg. Bet they're sweet. I agree with Dave Z - it seems a shame not to use them. But they probably will be collectable down the line. Id call Lee Richmond at The Best Things and ask your questions of an authority. Another dealer Ive heard good things about - but not personally spoken to - is Josh Clark at Hyperkitten. I dont know if they'd charge a small fee - after all, knowledge is part of their stock in trade. But when you have something potentially valuable .....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    Sorry to intrude on your day, Joe. I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible.
    If that were true, then you should hold the sarcasm and thank me for my opinion.

Surely you know the other forum in which you posted.

Blog Entries
    I've posted this on 5 other forums and groups, Joe. Your "I just suffered through this same post on a competing forum. " didn't get us off to a very friendly start. I apologize for my sarcasm.

We're good.

I would say the answer to your dilemma lies in how much you paid for those planes. Their value is probably twice what a single one would be worth. Sometimes multiples of collectible actually drives the value down because they are suddenly "less rare" but that would be if someone owned maybe ten of them. There is a famous story of a guy who literally cornered the market on an item and then discovered that he had killed the demand for them by having so many. It is said that diamonds would basically be worthless if DeBeers ever open their doors on the hordes of them they have stashed away. Unless you got a smok'n deal on these I would guess that the only substantial profit to be made on the LN anniversary planes is by those people who bought them new from LN and kept them unopened, like yours. That original prices was $500. These planes are not hard to find in the resale market.

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine having a plane and not using it.

That's just me though, "to each his own".

My thought is this ..

I bought one when they were released because at the time I was a strong supporter of heavy smoothers, and the idea of a bronze #4 1/2 appealed, especially as the cutting angle was higher. The first thing I did on receiving mine was to remove the plastic packaging, clean the metal, sharpen the blade, and put it to work.

I cannot recall what they cost new - $600? Now they are worth about $900 - $1000 after 10 years. Perhaps double this in another 10 or 15 years if left unused. If I wanted something as an investment, I would purchase shares or property. Tools I purchase to use. By using a plane that is set aside for "investment" it has so far cost me about $30 each year. Hardly an investment. Rip off the wrapping and use one.

I'd like to emphasise that the pleasure of owning one of these planes is partly in the exclusivity of having a plane that only 600 others have, as well as in their beauty. They are beautiful planes, which makes woodworking all the more enjoyable. My excitement at receiving one was for this reason, and the Anniversary plane has remained special all these years.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-15-2015 at 9:30 PM.

Well maybe i should be glad that my reply to this somehow mysteriously disappeared... but I'll say it again...

I would sell one and use the other for the rest of my life. A perfectly useful tool should get used, not collected - open the package, get some grit on it, make use of it. That's what it's for!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com