Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twins! Pair of LN #4 1/2 Bronze Anniv Planes- sequentially #'d! Not for sale.

Anniversary plane is a highly desired one, and that it makes a great user. Mine is (below).
    Derek,
    Woha !
    Look at the size of that sucker !
    Do you find you need an assistant to help pick it up and carry it back to the beginning of the next cut ?
    Pushing and gliding is one thing. Lifting is another.
    Mos Grande !
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Mike,
    Since the "stuff" is hitting the fan and flying your way I may as well toss a shovel full.
    I have used many Lie-Nielsen planes in both iron and bronze and found no difference in performance between the two materials in similar planes.
    The bronze has more drag; no question.
    But
    Better is Better.

Greg,
    I may end up using one of them
    So . . . . ?
    What's it gonna be Greg?
    What do we have to pay to peak through the hole in the wall ?
    I think at this point you owe it to us to peal a little as it were.
    At least the boa. Loose the boa and I will push a fiver into your box flap.
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I think at this point you owe it to us to peal a little as it were.
    At least the boa. Loose the boa and I will push a fiver into your box flap.
    Now THAT was funny! I just spat coffee all over the monitor again!

Greg,
    Like any good showman you have left with your audience wanting more.
    Greg,
    I'm afraid you do not realize who you are dealing with here.
    Greg,
    These guys are dangerous. They make a room full of crazydrunk sailers look like a sewing bee.
    Greg,
    For the love of Bob (and your very continued existence on this planet) I beg you to be careful. Show us the goods.
    Greg,
    You can run but you can not plane.
    Think it over.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-26-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Looks like Greg got some bruises in here.

Well, one of these planes finally made it to eBay for $1,600 plus shipping of course. It will be interesting to see if it sells. I think it is a ridiculous price.

It's been on and off for a number of weeks. I love the description where the sellers talks about planing to open the other one sometime, over a single malt and plane some wenge or something...

Some people!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gold View Post
    It's been on and off for a number of weeks. I love the description where the sellers talks about planing to open the other one sometime, over a single malt and plane some wenge or something...

Some people!
    I thought you had to be kidding about that quote. Nope! It's there for all to see.

As luck would have it, I have a single malt and some gorgeous burl laying around. I have been keeping them while I search the land for the perfect plane to smooth it while I savor my drink

I just read this thread, and am really dissappointed at some of the early responses to the OP.

The part of the thread that is disconcerting happend in February, but I feel compelled to say that my personal view is that when I have put-down, or taken a cheap shot at someone else, it only serves to make me look bad.

I can only hope the Moderators PM some of the folks about it.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

When making the reproduction of an 18th. C. fire engine(which I made 30 casting patterns for),we poured some 150# castings. All the castings were in bronze. Shrinkage was allowed for by me when making the patterns. And,the castings were poured with very basic 18th. C. type equipment.

Sorry,I have no pictures of the pumping mechanism. Now it is all enclosed inside the wooden housing of the fire engine.

I feel 2 ways about collecting tools: 1; I gather tools only to work with them. 2; Collecting tools and not using them at least preserves them for posterity.

But,I have to agree with Derek- collecting tools usually does not get you a large profit after you keep them for years and years. Maybe you'll make $20 after keeping the tool for 10 years? Especially a new made tool. Real estate is a better profit maker.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-04-2015 at 8:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I just read this thread, and am really dissappointed at some of the early responses to the OP.

The part of the thread that is disconcerting happend in February, but I feel compelled to say that my personal view is that when I have put-down, or taken a cheap shot at someone else, it only serves to make me look bad.
    A bit late to the rodeo, brudda.

If you were able to concatenate the earlier deleted thread with this one, you would get a story that included a different tone by the OP. A certain level of bragging and schadenfreude was the undercurrent.

A bit off-taste for some of us.

I hope he gets his $ jillion. He is now playing in the correct arena - global ebay.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Amen, brother Kent, my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    A bit late to the rodeo, brudda.

If you were able to concatenate the earlier deleted thread with this one, you would get a story that included a different tone by the OP. A certain level of bragging and schadenfreude was the undercurrent.

A bit off-taste for some of us.

I hope he gets his $ jillion. He is now playing in the correct arena - global ebay.
    My sincerest apologies
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

He just loves the attention. "Oh!! Oh!!, Look what I got !!!" I am sure he is just loving this post, and how long it has gone. I apologize to everyone, because I got him started down the tool collecting road. It is my shame I will carry forever. He has destroyed the fun I used to find in collecting.

We have all had our gloats and "You Suck " moments. And they should be shared. A lot of time and luck is put in to finding that special tool. Sometimes they inspires us to go back down stairs and learn to do something different. That is what hurts the worst. When a someone finds a personal treasure that they are really proud to have found. And he answers back about how he has a dozen. What a buzz kill.

I hope all the threads will forgive me for what I have done.

Tim