Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twins! Pair of LN #4 1/2 Bronze Anniv Planes- sequentially #'d! Not for sale.

Certainly, I think that in this country anyone can do whatever they want with their time, money and stuff. If you want to hoard, have at it. However, I personally think that sequentially numbered LN Planes do not have the same collector factor as, say, sequentially numbered automobiles or firearms. That's just me.

Having said that, I do not know if the OP actually uses hand tools. If he doesn't, then by all means, sell to the highest bidder. If he does, he should sell one, use the other and gloat about the wonderful things that he has made spectacular by smoothing with that thing. If he's looking for advice on how to save his money and make a profit, he came to the wrong place. If he's trying to drum up business, well.....good luck.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    You've stirred these guys up. Your gloat would be appreciated if you took them out of the package and used them. Do it! Just DO IT!
    ...or better yet, show us something you have actually built using hand tools. That would win much more respect from me, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Nah. Let him keep his legacy under wraps and 'appreciating'.
    Kind of reminds me of once when my wife and I were snuggled up on the couch watching the Barret Jackson automobile auction. A car came across the block with very, very low mileage on it. My wife's comment..."poor car, it never really got a chance to be an automobile."

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Certainly, I think that in this country anyone can do whatever they want with their time, money and stuff. If you want to hoard, have at it. However, I personally think that sequentially numbered LN Planes do not have the same collector factor as, say, sequentially numbered automobiles or firearms. That's just me.

Having said that, I do not know if the OP actually uses hand tools. If he doesn't, then by all means, sell to the highest bidder. If he does, he should sell one, use the other and gloat about the wonderful things that he has made spectacular by smoothing with that thing. If he's looking for advice on how to save his money and make a profit, he came to the wrong place. If he's trying to drum up business, well.....good luck.

They make nice tools, but I have never understood the L-N cult. For the $ of a sequentially numbered #4 1/2 Bronze, I can think of a boat load of Infill planes that I would rather own.

That being said, I do plan on taking off of work to go to the L-N hand tool event in Cinncinati in April.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the production of this thread is pretty crappy, in my opinion. I'll have to beat myself up about that a bit.

It was originally in the Neander forum, then deleted because a Mod justifiably thought it was a trolling sales thread in disguise. So, I recreated it with clarification, but in the Classifieds by mistake. Another Mod moved it here for me.

The pics are disappointing, granted, but I'm not going to open these for now. I was looking for advice, and the overwhelming response seems to be that these should be opened and used, even though they were created with collectability in mind. My instinct is to open and use one and sell the other, but it was suggested to me (by folks who are in the tool collectible and sales field) that two sequentially numbered unopened were worth a premium to collectors. So, I'm mulling over my options still. I'm not in a hurry.

In the meantime, I've received loads of emails from folks on both sides of this. The folks that think I should use them seem to be more passionate about their beliefs, to the point of rudeness and reverse snobbery. They are louder and more vociferous, but they are outnumbered by the folks who think these should be left as collectibles.

At least I'm getting opinions. Thank you all.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    Yeah, the production of this thread is pretty crappy, in my opinion. I'll have to beat myself up about that a bit.

It was originally in the Neander forum, then deleted because a Mod justifiably thought it was a trolling sales thread in disguise. So, I recreated it with clarification, but in the Classifieds by mistake. Another Mod moved it here for me.

The pics are disappointing, granted, but I'm not going to open these for now. I was looking for advice, and the overwhelming response seems to be that these should be opened and used, even though they were created with collectability in mind. My instinct is to open and use one and sell the other, but it was suggested to me (by folks who are in the tool collectible and sales field) that two sequentially numbered unopened were worth a premium to collectors. So, I'm mulling over my options still. I'm not in a hurry.

In the meantime, I've received loads of emails from folks on both sides of this. The folks that think I should use them seem to be more passionate about their beliefs, to the point of rudeness and reverse snobbery. They are louder and more vociferous, but they are outnumbered by the folks who think these should be left as collectibles.

Your very welcome, and you have my sincere apologies if you think I was being a reverse snob. That was not at all my intent.

One of my favorite cars owned was a 55 Chevy two door, which I drove everywhere. I just really enjoyed that car, drove it to pick up the babysitter if my wife and I were having an evening out or whatever.

Had an exchange student living with us and enjoyed taking him and some other teens I knew to the shooting range for target practice and to shoot at clay pigeons. People would get downright rude and in my face about driving that thing as a normal car when all I was trying to do was enjoy it.

The way I look at it, some day we will all be dead and what we cherish will be part of a landfill. Better to enjoy it responsibly now.

One option would be to sell the 9 1/2's to a collector, and buy a non numbered 4 1/2 from L-N, and use it. That might be the best option, actually.

But really, the (want to be) collector in me really would prefer an infill if I were buying for other than users....

Greg, here's the deal: nobody knows if you are even interested in new made tools. Your tag line seems to hint that you are a rust hunter. If that's the case, and new tools aren't your thing, you have your answer. That's cool. Plenty of guys prefer old iron and enjoy bringing those tools back to life, wether full on resto jobs, or just making them serviceable and everything in between. You did not mention anywhere what your woodworking habits and preferences are, and most of us on this forum would love to have your opportunity, just so we could own and use that plane.

You are certainly under no obligation to tell us how you came by them, or what your original intent was. However, by even broaching the subject, I suspect you'd like to shave some wood with one of them.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    No, Chris, I didn't take that from your comments at all. I've received some email from folks who think that people who collect anything that has value over $1000 is doing it to out of a sense of privilege or snobbery. To be frank, I wouldn't have bought even ONE of these if I hadn't literally fell into this "too good to believe" deal. I was considering a purchase of a bronze #4 for a user.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    ...or better yet, show us something you have actually built using hand tools. That would win much more respect from me, actually.
    Well, aside from my avatar, which is my plane till made with laminated curly cherry ply, trimmed in mahogany and moisture-barrier treated felt, I've made a few hundred pens, mostly from kits, others segmented or kitless. There's also a desk, a couple paneled doors, an end table, a few turned bowls and platters, a bed, and a poor attempt at a mantle clock. None of these are what I would call especially artistic, and my skills aren't what I would consider good enough to be displayed anywhere. I'm sure I haven't made anything near the quality that everyone here has.
    I'm not a collector, but my interest has taken me towards the tools themselves also. I have been rehabbing old, barn-fresh tools for a few years now, and sell them (at no profit, I assure you) to my fellow woodworking guild members. I've had hundreds of these old tools come in rusty and neglected, and cleaned them up without damaging them or removing metal. Very few get rejapanned using asphaltum, but most are just cleaned, tuned up and made usable again. I do collect chisels, though. I have a weakness for them.
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 02-17-2015 at 1:31 PM.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I may get shot for this, but WTH:

I bought a LN 102 in White Bronze when they offered them a few years ago - ( should have got more than one ) and got it engraved by Layne Zeulke - on the bench as a user and love it.

A real good friend saw it and asked where I got it etc.; he really wanted one - I was able to buy a LN limited edition numbered 102 and 103 at a reasonable price, filed the serial number off the 102, it buffed up nicely and I got it engraved by Layne as well for my friend - presented it to him as a gift. Thrilled to pieces he was.

I kept the 103 for myself, but find myself using the original 102 more than the 103.

All I did was make one less set of the 102/103 LN White Bronze sets available in the future ( 500 were issued IIRC ) .

Blasphemy to some, priceless to me.

Dave B

Well, aside from my avatar, which is my plane till made with laminated curly cherry ply, trimmed in mahogany and moisture-barrier treated felt, I've made a few hundred pens, mostly from kits, others segmented or kitless. There's also a desk, a couple paneled doors, an end table, a few turned bowls and platters, a bed, and a poor attempt at a mantle clock. None of these are what I would call especially artistic, and my skills aren't what I would consider good enough to be displayed anywhere. I'm sure I haven't made anything near the quality that everyone here has. Forgive me for not wanting to compete.
    I'm not a collector, but my interest has taken me towards the tools themselves also. I have been rehabbing old, barn-fresh tools for a few years now, and sell them (at no profit, I assure you) to my fellow woodworking guild members. I've had hundreds of these old tools come in rusty and neglected, and cleaned them up without damaging them or removing metal. Very few get rejapanned using asphaltum, but most are just cleaned, tuned up and made usable again. I do collect chisels, though. I have a weakness for them.
    Really neat! My next door neighbor builds stuff out of 2 x 4 lumber along the lines of Anna White. He had a knack for finishing it and making it look good. Just hoping that you were having the joy of building things. For years I restored furniture and seldom built it, now I enjoy building it much more than restoring it.

I have a weakness for chisels also... partly to blame is David Weaver for the addiction, as he got me interested in Japanese chisels which are both great to work with and a work of art IMHO.

Really want to get into turning, but I have so many things I want/need to build right now that it will be next year at least before I can get started. Would love to see what you turned, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post

I bought a LN 102 in White Bronze when they offered them a few years ago - ( should have got more than one ) and got it engraved by Layne Zeulke - on the bench as a user and love it.

A real good friend saw it and asked where I got it etc.; he really wanted one - I was able to buy a LN limited edition numbered 102 and 103 at a reasonable price, filed the serial number off the 102, it buffed up nicely and I got it engraved by Layne as well for my friend - presented it to him as a gift. Thrilled to pieces he was.

I kept the 103 for myself, but find myself using the original 102 more than the 103.

All I did was make one less set of the 102/103 LN White Bronze sets available in the future ( 500 were issued IIRC ) .

Dave B
    You gave it a chance to live and make shavings, no harm, no foul.

Greg - Hey - it's all good. You've got a unique collection that you think has value/merit. You asked what we thought, and you got what you asked for - maybe more than you asked for.

People collect all kinds of stuff for all kinds of reasons. None are right, none are wrong. You think these are smart as an investment - then good for you - hang on to them, in the packaging, and test the waters every so often if you decide to cash out - post them as BIN or with a high auction reserve, on the auction site, and see what happens. You are targeting serious collectors, obviously, not users. I know there are lots of those guys out there in the antique collection mode - maybe the modern set will appeal to some of them as well - the sequential numbers seem certain to be unique, IMO.

Me, for example - when I sometimes get drug into an antique place [not very often, thankfully] I search for oddball salt and pepper shaker sets. They don't get used - they don't even really get acknowledged, to be honest. SWMBO thinks I am weird, but just shrugs it off.

I have paid as much as ten bucks for a set. None in bronze, unfortunately. Not holding on to them as an investment - that's for sure.

My favorite: ball mitt pepper holding a baseball salt.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

It seems the OP is in the business of buying, restoring, and re-selling old planes. Now the question is, are these two worth more as subsequent serial numbers numbered 387 and 388? I think the answer to that is no. If they were serial numbers 1 and 500 then maybe they would be worth more as a pair than two separately. I suppose serial number 1 will always be worth more as would the last one produced. The rest in the middle, I don't see any significance to sequential or not. As far as keeping them pristine, then I think the answer to that is yes. Anyone wanting to buy one of these will certainly pay more for a virgin tool than a used one. My vote would be to put them away in storage for 20 years or more and then list them for sale (individually but willing to accept premium offers for the both of them). When were these manufactured again? The 25 anniversary of the 25th anniversary tool for example might be huge for collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post

Dave B
    Why in gods name would you deliberately file off the serial number? To me that seems downright pitiful.