Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twins! Pair of LN #4 1/2 Bronze Anniv Planes- sequentially #'d! Not for sale.

Blog Entries
    Malcolm, it appears that it sold already. That was quick. Apparently, some folks value them in that condition.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Blog Entries
    There appear to be a number unopened ones out there.
    They are becoming quite common. It is the used ones that are rare.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    They are becoming quite common. It is the used ones that are rare.

jtk
    I actually really love the patina of a tool that has been used.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I think the criticism of wanting a plane for collecting, even if it isn't worth a thousand dollars ( I am guessing these are bellow that each) . . .
    I think disparaging that is kind of knee jerk.

I have planes I don't use partly because I was exploring possibilities when I bought them, partly because I just like to look at them. I still enjoy them as such.
    I read the other day that Bill Gates still has in his collection the first car he ever drove/owned (a sixties red mustang). Nothing wrong with collections as long as they please the collector.

I even, gasp, have pocket knives I don't carry.
    There now you know the worst.

Thanks for posting them
    how ever
    ahhhhhhhh
    I haven't read this whole thread but . . .
    the dressing gown is OK I guess but I want to see the lingerie or better yet the, dare I say . . . bare metal !

From past actual experience with buying at least one "collector" special addition LN
    I warn you to exercise extreme caution . . .
    I bought the 25th Anniversary Woodcraft addition #1 (on clearance sale)(I scored big time . . . (( pause while I strut around the living room like a baby chick that has hunted down and bagged its first bug))) . . .
    I bought the plane in the photo as a paper weight to commemorate someone and to remind me of them when ever I saw the plane on my desk.
    Now the ugly part . . .
    I found the plane taunting me and tempting me to use it.
    I resisted. Too small, toooooooo impractical . . . a toy . . .
    it kept at me.
    I tried just a taste with the tip of my pinky.

Now I am a regular user. I can't stop . . .
    the unassuming, petite, though singularly out of the ordinary, yet diabolically cleaver little beast has become a habit with me.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    It will start when you put a cambered blade in one and a finish blade in the other . . .
    just to see how they would look . . . you know . . . harmless playful stuff . . . then there will come a time when your regular smoother is dull and your eye catches the glint off one of these siitting in its lighted display cabinet . . . with the alarm system and fortress of invisible laser beams surrounding it . . . that is linked to the security company . . .
    annnnnnnd you know the code . . .
    oh yah
    well maybe just a swipe just to take off that last plane track.
    Then back into the cabinet.
    No harm done.
    Be afraid . . . be very afraid.
    Actually I am enjoying your sense of humor here.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    Malcolm, it appears that it sold already. That was quick. Apparently, some folks value them in that condition.
    Nothing really wrong with that, Actually. Just into using my stuff more than collecting.

Blog Entries
    The one that was not still wrapped went for $720- just $20 over the opening bid. It was pristine but not in the plastic. I actually would have loved to have had it but still out of my reach. I don't care about the numbering and signature- just would like to have a heavy bronze 4 1/2.

Edit- I didn't realize which one I posted. There was one that was opened for $700. I did not watch the $1200 one so I don't know what it went for or if it just expired.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 02-24-2015 at 2:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The one that was not still wrapped went for $720- just $20 over the opening bid. It was pristine but not in the plastic. I actually would have loved to have had it but still out of my reach. I don't care about the numbering and signature- just would like to have a heavy bronze 4 1/2.

Edit- I didn't realize which one I posted. There was one that was opened for $700. I did not watch the $1200 one so I don't know what it went for or if it just expired.
    I wish this plane were less pricey from L/N. Would really like one as a user.

An opened anniversary 4-1/2 was priced at $825 on another forum recently and did not sell. I noticed that it was just sold on Ebay for $720., and there were just two bidders. This one was about as nice as a user could be, so that price seems to be a good baseline value.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I think the criticism of wanting a plane for collecting, even if it isn't worth a thousand dollars ( I am guessing these are bellow that each) . . .
    I think disparaging that is kind of knee jerk.

I have planes I don't use partly because I was exploring possibilities when I bought them, partly because I just like to look at them. I still enjoy them as such.
    I read the other day that Bill Gates still has in his collection the first car he ever drove/owned (a sixties red mustang). Nothing wrong with collections as long as they please the collector.

I even, gasp, have pocket knives I don't carry.
    There now you know the worst.

I can't believe you are getting the grief you are from this thread...

Like Winston, I collect pocket knives, and some of the are just as valuable as these planes. I would not dream of taking them to work to slice boxes with, but that doesn't mean I do not love them. Does that mean I am a snob? Gosh I hope not!

Greg, you have no reason to be put off by the nay sayers. I completely understand your turmoil in regards to what you should do with these. Personally I would use one and sell the other, or simply sell both and buy a regular one if you require a user and do not really have your heart into having one for your collection. As for sequential serial numbers, I don't think that aspect will affect the price as there are still only the small quantity made and this is not an item people look for multiples "just because"...

If you do keep one to use, which one will it be? Bronze has a high shrinkage rate in the foundry process. That is why the larger planes have not been offered in that material. Those two castings were not necessarily made sequentially. They were engraved sequentially. That means those two planes could have different performance parameters, if they were made to be used at all.

I have used many Lie-Nielsen planes in both iron and bronze and found no difference in performance between the two materials in similar planes. The iron version is slightly less expensive.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 02-24-2015 at 8:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe you are getting the grief you are from this thread...

Like Winston, I collect pocket knives, and some of the are just as valuable as these planes. I would not dream of taking them to work to slice boxes with, but that doesn't mean I do not love them. Does that mean I am a snob? Gosh I hope not!
    Not being a snob for collecting is also my hope.

It is kind of like hand made wood items. Some of us make them and surely wouldn't think of shunning any buyers just because they collected artisan made wooden crafts.

My lament wasn't that someone bought all my hand made spoons. My lament was I hadn't made even more to sell.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    An opened anniversary 4-1/2 was priced at $825 on another forum recently and did not sell. I noticed that it was just sold on Ebay for $720., and there were just two bidders. This one was about as nice as a user could be, so that price seems to be a good baseline value.
    This demonstrates what I wrote in my post near the beginning of this thread. I think that the purchase of a LN Anniversary plane is a highly desired one, and that it makes a great user. Mine is (below). Even purchasing one to stare at on a mantle is OK, if that is what turns you on. But there are far better ways to invest money and purchasing one as an investment, per se, is not the way I would go.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    To the OP:
    Bronze has a high shrinkage rate in the foundry process. That is why the larger planes have not been offered in that material.
    This makes no sense at all. Shrinkage rates of cast metals are well known, and allowed for, no matter what size the casting is to be. there are lots of bronze castings much bigger than any plane out there.

It makes sense to Lie-Nielsen, who told be about this problem. Too many off-spec castings. I'm sure you can find someone there to to discuss it with.

I wish this plane were less pricey from L/N. Would really like one as a user.
    Bide your time my friend, bide your time.
    I want this book.
    I have been watching it over the years.
    When I started watching it it was $1500 for an old used copy.
    I tried to get Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer to buy it for me for Christmas.
    She made me sleep on the deck that night. With out my pad.
    I guess that was a no, then.
    That was a few years ago.
    That puppy is down to a mere $400 now so it is just a matter of time before I snag it.
    I wonder if I should ask Q for it for my birthday ?
    Pretty cold out these last several nights. Best to wait a while.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.