Thread: Help please with disassembly of Pike hand crank grinder

Help please with disassembly of Pike hand crank grinder

Hello, I am looking for some advice from anybody who has disassembled a Pike grinder. I have removed the screws keeping the crank case together, and removed the wheel. It seems like the main spindle needs to be removed in order for the case to come apart, but from various postings I have seen on the web, nobody mentions this. Appears there is a pin attaching a saucer shaped bearing to the spindle. The only thing I can think is that I have to drive this pin out and remove the 'saucer' and then the whole spindle may come out and let the case open. If anybody has disassembled one of these, can you please confirm that this is the plan? Thanks! Josh

On mine, there is a screw and washer on the end of the grinding-wheel shaft which, once removed, allows the shaft to be pulled out the other side. That and the three screws on the case are all it takes to pull the case halves apart. The shaft for the gear and crank arm is held in place by the gear inside the case and the crank arm outside the case. I don't see a pin as you describe, maybe a different model?

pike5grinder.jpgpike5open.jpg

Andrae - Thanks for the reply. Interesting - I have a No. 5 too, but my setup is different. Instead of the screw and washer mine seems pinned or fixed. I took a few pics to show the difference. The first pic shows the pinned saucer piece that I mentioned. Though my thinking was that if I drove out this pin, I would pull the shaft out from the front of the grinder, which I guess is the opposite of what you've done after removing the screw and washer. I am stumped. Any ideas? Thanks!
    2015-02-16 19.06.50.jpg2015-02-16 19.06.38.jpg2015-02-16 19.05.52.jpg2015-02-16 19.05.42.jpg

I still haven't been able to figure out how to do this other than to drive out the pin, but before I risk wrecking it I wanted to bump this up for one last appeal for wisdom ...

Josh, why do you want to open it up? I bought the same grinder several years ago and went through the same process of trying to figure out how to open it up so I could clean it and regrease. I ended up giving up, shooting some good quality oil in all the points on the outside, and away I went. Works like a champ.

Anyway, just wanted to mention my experience...if it works, just use it!

Hope that helps.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Josh, why do you want to open it up? I bought the same grinder several years ago and went through the same process of trying to figure out how to open it up so I could clean it and regrease. I ended up giving up, shooting some good quality oil in all the points on the outside, and away I went. Works like a champ.

Anyway, just wanted to mention my experience...if it works, just use it!

Hope that helps.
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin, Thanks for the reply. A fair question, for sure. The problem with my grinder is that when it gets up to speed it makes this clicking sound that makes me think it is skipping gears. I figured I could probably clean up some accumulated dirt and grease and give it a nice coat of oil if I could get the gear box open. But maybe you are right that I should seek an easier route here.