Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just can't believe this...

I just can't believe this...

100_0599 (640x480).jpg
    I find this hard to believe on the sixteenth day of Feb. The Day Lily's are beginning to sprout as well. All this and a winter storm coming. This is a true ray of sunshine for some people. Enjoy!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I wish I could see the grass, or just anything but snow. It was -15 (w/o wind chill) when I woke up this morning.

My neighbors lilies and other flowers are sprouting, our trees are budding and it's only mid-February. My neighbor mowed his lawn yesterday for the first time this year, two months earlier than normal.

Our youngest son, DIL and 3 of our grandchildren just left on Friday. They took in a number of waterfalls while in the area including Multnomah Falls near Portland en route back to California.

Our rivers are swollen with spring run off typical of June weather, and the mountains are bare of snow. It's going to be a long hot summer with the potential of a terrible forest fire season.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    100_0599 (640x480).jpg
    I find this hard to believe on the sixteenth day of Feb. The Day Lily's are beginning to sprout as well. All this and a winter storm coming. This is a true ray of sunshine for some people. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    My neighbors lilies and other flowers are sprouting, our trees are budding and it's only mid-February. My neighbor mowed his lawn yesterday for the first time this year, two months earlier than normal.

Our youngest son, DIL and 3 of our grandchildren just left on Friday. They took in a number of waterfalls while in the area including Multnomah Falls near Portland en route back to California.

Our rivers are swollen with spring run off typical of June weather, and the mountains are bare of snow. It's going to be a long hot summer with the potential of a terrible forest fire season.
    REALLY PEOPLE!!!

Ugh...I am not even sure if I still HAVE a lawn...or flowers...or even a garage, for that matter. EVERYTHING is covered in snow...and it is too cold to dig it out!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Harold,
    Just think of what you have to look forward to.
    The future is very bright!!!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    REALLY PEOPLE!!!

Ugh...I am not even sure if I still HAVE a lawn...or flowers...or even a garage, for that matter. EVERYTHING is covered in snow...and it is too cold to dig it out!
    This morning, sitting at -10 (not sure what it was with wind chill, and it was WINDY), I had to dig a path for my oil guy to be able to get to my filler pipe. I took one step onto the "lawn", and fell in about 4' or so. I was stuck cold and had to dig my way out. LOL. I'm not usually ornery or bitter, but if I saw a cute little flower poking it's head out somewhere right now, I'd probably stomp it back into the snow where it belongs.

Hey, I grew up in New York, and spent most of my adult life in New England, with a couple of years in PA. We're a hardy bunch up here, but it's getting a bit tiring to be doing this every couple of days. We got practically nothing until a few weeks ago, and it just hasn't stopped since.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-16-2015 at 1:20 PM.

Yes, it is a gorgeous day. Up to 7 degrees, warm sun, no wind! Wonderful. (well, compared to the last few days)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    100_0599 (640x480).jpg
    I find this hard to believe on the sixteenth day of Feb. The Day Lily's are beginning to sprout as well.
    LOL It is hard to believe they are Daylilies Joe. That's a Daffodil. My grandmother planted 100's of them so there was always a huge display each Spring.

It's nice to see that bright yellow flower even if it is a bit early. Have a great day and thanks for sharing.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    REALLY PEOPLE!!!

Ugh...I am not even sure if I still HAVE a lawn...or flowers...or even a garage, for that matter.
    Wait a minute - aren't you the guy that claimed to like working in his unheated garage, even when it was 10 degrees????

The daffodils are blooming in my yard and the blueberries are budding out (and it's warm in my shop).

We got lucky on yesterday's storm. Only got 8" at my house while 20 miles away on the seacoast they got 20". The snow has been settling a bit and the depth across my front and back yard is down to 4 feet or maybe a slight bit more. I had the roof shoveled and the ice dams removed this morning by a contractor. When they were finished they just jumped off the second story roof into the snowbanks. It was actually safer than going down the ladder and they enjoyed it a good bit more. The wind has been the big issue here with steady above 30mph, fairly regular 40mph+ and gusts as high as 60mph for over 2 days now. Lots of drifting and a bunch of driving accidents due to whiteout conditions. It is really wierd when the snow has a partial covering of pine needles and sprigs from stuff that was ripped off of the trees.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Anybody up your way have a heating wire along the gutter line?
    I've got a well insulated house and ice dams on every eave.

I rake my roof and it hasn't mattered, this year.

I don't know anyone who does Jim. My house is a gambrel with the front facing due south. The steep pitch is 18 in 12 and the upper pitch is about 6 in 12. The back unfortunately is the north side and has a shed dormer with about a 4 in 12 pitch. That was the troublesome one. I have aluminum plating going up 24" from the drip edge and there was still a 6" thick ice dam and it covered all of the aluminum. That's the first time that has happened.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

It's so hot and dry here....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

After last winter, with relatively large icing on the gutters, we had the "Hot Edge" system installed - it is a metal shield that extends up over the first course of shingles, under the second, with a heating cable inserted along the edge, and a heating cable in the gutter and the downspouts. There is a sensor for precipitation and temperature, to control the system. It then runs on a timed drying cycle. I thought it would be a better and more energy efficient system than the a manually controlled zig-zag heating wire. The jury is still out on operating cost but we have had no ice problems so far this year.

We have two independent systems, one on the front and one on the back, in our modified raised ranch. Each system has its own controller and 30 amp breaker. On installation, one cable was a about 8" too short so there is some snow cover on the end - but no icicles (last Year's icicles were enormous). We will fix that after the weather breaks.

The system was not inexpensive but for us the icing had become a safety issue.
    Last edited by Jim Falsetti; 02-16-2015 at 7:56 PM. Reason: fuller explanation

I'd like to see the Lilly's try to play that trick around here. 2 full feet of snow in my yard. 3 ft within snowblower range.