Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeWalt 735 - Sell or Keep?

DeWalt 735 - Sell or Keep?

I picked up a Delta DC-380 15" planer from a fellow Creeker this weekend and don't know if I should keep my DeWalt 735. I had a DC-380 some years back but got rid of it and bought the DW735 as a replacement. I got rid of said planer because I couldn't get past the condition it was in (purchased used) and thought I could bring it back to life and make it look like new. The DC-380 I picked up now is close to mint condition and runs like a champ. I was thinking of keeping the DW735 as a back-up or for smaller projects but the DC-380 can handle anything I can throw at it without a doubt. Should I sell the DeWalt or keep it for smaller jobs? I will admit that space is a premium in my shop but I can always work around it need be.

Sell it and use the money for something you need.
    Don

The only reason I can see keeping a second planer around is to plane reclaimed wood that might have old finish or paint on it... you could use the DW for your first few passes without having to worry too much about messing up your knives or worry about cut quality.

But if you don't work with materials like that, sell it for sure. I really can't think of another reason for you to keep two machines that do the same thing.

Peter's point is well taken. I've had a Dewalt DW733 for 15 years but more recently bought a Makita 2012nb on sale. It allows me to have a higher quality finish planer and one for less than ideal or reclaimed lumber. I sharpen the blades on the Dewalt myself, it has a few nicks but otherwise works great and having both is quite useful. Everyone's needs are different though.

I had planned to sell my DW735 after I bought a Grizzly 20"; that's been 3 years and I've yet to bring myself to part with the Dewalt. I don't use it very often, but every once in a great while it comes in handy if I have some boards that need just a smidgen planed off and I think the Griz might leave serrated roller marks.

Ask yourself a few questions:

1. Am I a hoarder? If yes, well, you can't sell it; but probably should.
    2. Do I have tons of space. If yes, well, who cares, keep it you hoarder.
    3. Assuming that you have the space for it, can you think of a use for it? I know people with multiple table saws that are configured for different uses; for example, one with a dado blade and one with a rip blade. If yes, well, then keep it.

The primary determination would be if you had reason to have multiple machines configured, or, if the 735 just happens to do something better.

In my opinion, Dan Jarvie and Andrew Pitonyak said it all....

Unless you have more money and space than you know what to do with, sell it. I sold mine. (Guy who bought it dropped it on the way to his car; don't know what ever happened.)

You said it yourself "space is at a premium". Sell it and use the money and space for something else. I kept my dw734 for about a year after getting a 15" planer and never used it, so I sold it.

Thank you for the replies, off to Craigslist and the Classifieds section it will go.

Now a fair asking price for a DW735, factory tables, factory stand, and a extra set of knives.

I bought a 15" planer and kept my DW735. I found with the serrated infeed roll that I had to take off a certain amount to get rid of the marks and this makes it difficult to hit precise thickness. The DW735 is easy to adjust a few thousandths so that getting boards very close for things life face frames or panels are easier.

Nooooooooo! Don't sell it. I have both and the Dewalt is much more precise than the Delta. It is so much easier to use the smaller Dewalt for everyday tasks than the bigger beast. I use my big one when I need to plane heavy long boards or remove a lot of wood at a time. I keep my big one out of the way against a wall unto I need it. My 735 is always ready to go. If you like the accuracy and easy knife changes you will miss the Dewalt.

Dan

I'd give yourself 1 or 2 projects with the new planer. Make sure you're happy with its adjustment, finish, and dust collection.
    The new planer does take more space, and it may not be a win in all factors that you care about.
    A little bit of experience will confirm your preference.

I don't think keeping two planers is of super high value compared to other uses for space/money.

Matt

I'm curious to know if your new one performs better than the 735... I am very happy with my 735, and don't see how it could get a lot better without spending a substantial amount of money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Nooooooooo! Don't sell it. I have both and the Dewalt is much more precise than the Delta. It is so much easier to use the smaller Dewalt for everyday tasks than the bigger beast. I use my big one when I need to plane heavy long boards or remove a lot of wood at a time. I keep my big one out of the way against a wall unto I need it. My 735 is always ready to go. If you like the accuracy and easy knife changes you will miss the Dewalt.

Dan
    Delta what?