Thread: Used Jet DC-1200 or HF DC?

Used Jet DC-1200 or HF DC?

I an on my phone so limited on what I can search. I'm looking for opinion on this.

Would a Used Jet DC-1200 be better overall than a new HF DC? They are the same price for me. Looking to connect to Bandsaw, sawstop, and router table. With options to connect jointer/planer during those operations.

Thanks.

I would go with the Jet. It will have a bigger impeller and better resale when you move up to something. I don't know for sure but the Jet might be 220V only. Something to check out.

I only buy a Harbor Freight power tool if it gets limited use, like an angle grinder. And if I am called upon to loan a tool to a neighbor, my garage tools can be loaned. (No loaners from my shop.)

Come to think of it, he uses the grinder a lot more often than I do. I should make him keep it is his garage.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 02-16-2015 at 4:35 PM.

The HF DC's (sub $200 with coupon) are a popular buy to modify and soup up, lots of info out there on it.
    Still, I think I'd take the used Jet and plan to make some upgrades (pleated filter, thein separator, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    The HF DC's (sub $200 with coupon) are a popular buy to modify and soup up, lots of info out there on it.
    Still, I think I'd take the used Jet and plan to make some upgrades (pleated filter, thein separator, etc).
    I have more information now. The Jet is about 10 years old. The model before the vortex I believe from my research.

12" impeller, 110 or 220 voltage.

Any concern with buying an older DC that has had minimal use?

Eventually you will want to upgrade. You will be able to sell the Jet for what you paid for it, but you will have to just about give the HF away.

I bought a blur 3hp jet. I had to eventually hade to replace the motor bearings but that was it. I sold it for what I bought it years later.

I'd definitely go with the Jet and pick up the Vortex upgrade for it. I haven't checked but assume the db of the sound between is a bit different. I am 59 and finally started paying attention to hearing protection. Anything north of 76 db is deal breaker for me as I really don't like wearing hearing protection all the time.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    I have more information now. The Jet is about 10 years old. The model before the vortex I believe from my research.

12" impeller, 110 or 220 voltage.

Any concern with buying an older DC that has had minimal use?

I've been using the larger HF dust collector model for a few years now. 8" jointer, 18" bandsaw, table saw, router, etc. I'd buy it again, no question. Unless you're buying a used dust collector (like OP is considering), I really couldn't justify spending more for my equipment/needs. It's priced so darn low for the CFM it pulls...Filters, vortex, are easy modifications and you're still well under budget.
    IMO this isn't a precision tool. It's a motor, switch & steel prop to build up from.