Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions On A Transition From A Unisaw To Sawstop

Questions On A Transition From A Unisaw To Sawstop

I've had a Platinum Edition Unisaw for the past 10 yrs and have decided to get a Sawstop. I've been delighted with the Unisaw and want to replace it some something equivalent. It appears that the model PCS31230 would fit that description with 230V 3hp 1phase power and 52" T-glide fence.

A couple of questions if I may:

Is the overarm dust collection effective and worth $199?
    Do these things ever go on sale? It appears that all the online sellers charge the same price when you factor in shipping.
    Is there anything else I should buy at the same time?
    Any other factors I haven't considered?

Thanks for your input.

I got this Sawstop last year with the overarm dust collection and industrial mobile base. I use the overarm dust collection whenever possible so I think $200 bucks is worth it. You can make your own for less like Paul at HalfInchShy.com. I also have Festool CT 26 with boomarm and I can just attach it directly to the blade guard to collect the dust from the top and the dust collection with the 4" for the bottom. I would skip the overarm dust collection if you have a Festool boomarm dust collection. You should also get the zci from Infinity too.
    Mike

I think they are like Festool -- standardized pricing, but occasional deals. There was a deal in the past few months or so where you got the overhead DC arm or a mobile base for free. I've been eyeing the PCS for awhile, to replace my contractor-style saw. I used one at a local lumber shop and it is a beautiful machine. I bought a Festool track saw last year for breaking down sheet goods, and decided to delay the SawStop purchase. But there are times a table saw for me is a must, like ripping tough and/or thick woods, and my contractor saw just won't cut it, literally. If you've got the need and the budget, check out the new sliding crosscut table from SawStop, as well. It looks, and feels, like a really quality add-on.

Blog Entries
    I got the saw you mention and the overarm collection part was free in a promo. I am glad to have it but, wouldn't pay $200 for it if you already have another overarm guard / collector. If you do not, I would look at your shop setup and decide if you want one that rather seamlessly integrates with the saw but is only just above average in collection (but a very goo guard) or if you want more serious overarm collection.

I have had overarm collection for about a decade and would have done something if the Saw Stop didn't come with the overarm. The small hose and the design (slave off the lower collector at 90* plus the long, small path) make the collection OK but not near what a 3" or 4" collector feed does for you.

I only really get the benefit of the overarm when doing a lot of ripping or stock breakdown so the Saw Stop overarm is working fine for me since I do less of this than nearly anything else. It is also less trouble with a better guard feature than my previous overarm so, all in all it works for me. If you do a lot of production-type ripping of stock I would go another way. JMHE.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You should look inside the saw and compare the build to your unisaw. The ICS is a heavier build than the Uni but not sure the PCS is. Might not be relevant or important but if you are comparing, the inside of the machine is what is most important. Dave

If your saw will be stationary, then no, I definitely don't think it's worth the $200- just hang your hose straight down from the ceiling. This is what I do with mine and it works fine. When I'm doing lots of ripping as part of my milling process, I like to use the table on the right for my workpieces- that tubing rig would just annoy me. I'd constantly be hitting it with workpieces as I move them around, especially really long ones. It also eliminates the possibility of having a router table in your extension wing if that's something you might want.

It might be worth it if you move your saw around often though.

They put the PCS on sale and generally either give the free over arm or mobile base.

I have the ICS 5hp, and the DC is the same as the PCS, and it's top notch. Easy to take off and put on, and works like a champ.

Great saw and you won't be disappointed in the saw. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    If your saw will be stationary, then no, I definitely don't think it's worth the $200- just hang your hose straight down from the ceiling. This is what I do with mine and it works fine. When I'm doing lots of ripping as part of my milling process, I like to use the table on the right for my workpieces- that tubing rig would just annoy me. I'd constantly be hitting it with workpieces as I move them around, especially really long ones. It also eliminates the possibility of having a router table in your extension wing if that's something you might want.

It might be worth it if you move your saw around often though.
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering and thinking the same thing. I too am planning on getting a SawStop PCS but have some shop prep to do plus I am going to wait for a promo. If the promo from last year comes up again, I was thinking of opting for the integrated base and buying the blade guard with the dust port, but not the overarm boom.

If you will need to move you SawStop around in your shop I would really recommend the Industrial Mobile Base if it is still available. The hydraulic lift works really well and the four casters allow great maneuvering. If I recall correctly it's about $300 well spent.

I too am on the verge of purchasing a PCS 3hp 52" fence. I have been hoping that they would have a sale soon, but I'm going to just bite the bullet and get it next week I think. I would love an ICS but the extra $1000 is a tough one to bite, especially when I need to buy a jointer too, that's most of a Dj20 used, although I really want a powermatic 8" jointer!

I guess you don't want to hear that a 7.5hp ICS went for 1750 on ebay.

There's an ICS on one of the local classifieds for $2300 but it's 3 phase. I'm not sure I want to tackle that, and what i'd save would have to be spent on a converter as I don't have 3 phase in my house.

I have the PCS with 52" fence, overarm dust collection and mobile base. The saw is very nice. The dust collection is good as long as you can use the blade guard AND are not ripping near the edge of a board. If you are taking off only an eighth inch or less, it will spray dust to the left of the blade even with the blade guard and overarm assembly. I think the integrated PCS mobile base is great. Smooth up and down, lifts the side table with the base, and rolls easily. I missed the sale that threw in the overarm dust collection with the PCS. The only deal when I bought mine was on the ICS, but I was not able to wait.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. My Unisaw has not budged since the day I set it up so I really don't have much need for a mobile base. I'm not in a huge rush so I'll just 'wait in the weeds' until the next overarm dust collection freebie. If I don't like it, I'm not out anything.

One thing you might want to do is obtain accurate weight information for the two saws you are comparing. As someone already mentioned, the answer to the question of equivalency of the two is not just in the appearance but also how much cast iron is used in the right places. If the PCS and the Unisaw weigh close to the same, then chances are they are built equally heavy duty. If the PCS is much lighter, then maybe you need to look at the ICS. Just a thought.