Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Versus radial Arm Saw

My choice depends on the shop. I like a radial arm saw, at least the well-made ones. They trump the sliding compound miter saw if room is not an issue; however, that's not the situation in the shop. When portability comes into play, there is no comparison - go with the slider. It's much smaller.

I wouldn't want to be without either. My Dewalt slider is several models older than whatever the current one is, and it's always been dead on without ever being touched for adjustment. If absolute perfection is required, that's what shooting boards are for, but the RAS is set up for perfect 90 degree cuts, and has been producing them for years.

Before I became a woodworker I was into metal work (racing cars etc) but had a RAS as well. Once I switched to woodworking I bought a Makita SCMS. Couldn't get rid of the RAS fast enough. I remember having a discussion with a friend who also was a woodworker, carpenter etc. trying to convince him why a RAS was better that a table saw. LOL. In the 15 years since I sold the RAS there has no been ONE SINGLE MOMENT where I said "wish I still had the RAS". There isn't anything I can't do on either the table saw or the SCMS. And it is very accurate. I cut a LOT of aluminum extrusion on the SCMS and it still works well after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    Before I became a woodworker I was into metal work (racing cars etc) but had a RAS as well. Once I switched to woodworking I bought a Makita SCMS. Couldn't get rid of the RAS fast enough. I remember having a discussion with a friend who also was a woodworker, carpenter etc. trying to convince him why a RAS was better that a table saw. LOL. In the 15 years since I sold the RAS there has no been ONE SINGLE MOMENT where I said "wish I still had the RAS". There isn't anything I can't do on either the table saw or the SCMS. And it is very accurate. I cut a LOT of aluminum extrusion on the SCMS and it still works well after all these years.
    Agree that a table saw is a must. Not sure your experience is typical, cutting aluminum and such. Apples to oranges perhaps.

I have 2 CMSs, one in the shop and one for job site use. Had a RAS for years and got rid of it when I had to move to a smaller shop. I have seriously regretted it....
    Currently am mid-restoration of an old Dewalt to fill the void again.
    Different tools, different strengths. I personally like a well tuned RAS.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Ras is not limited to a 120 volt plug and so has way more power. some of the cheaper consumer grade RAS did and there a POS. Big tables, motors, blades, cross cut,rotating heads with far more tooling options that the SCMS like a 4" tenion head on my 18" wadkin . Cut a timber on a SCMS and watch the plastic get crunched. The SCMS has lots of flex in timber cutting because it has to run thin blade because of the 120 volt plug power supply. for trim work the scms is king. for timber the RAS
    jack
    English machines

Does anybody make a good RAS now, or have they gone the way of the dodo?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    There are so many great used ones out there, why buy new? I know Omga and Original Saw still do, and probably others.

Most of the new ones don't hold a candle to the old iron because they're made out of stamped metal. Sears still sells a radial arm saw for $899 that doesn't compare to old cast iron saws that can sometimes be found for under $100 in unrestored condition and $200 to $800 depending on the saw in restored like new condition. Go over to OWWM.org and you'll find a number of threads on what to look for in an old saw. The cast iron DeWalts from the late forty's to late 50's are very well made and the GWI is regarded by many as one of the best ever made. Some prefer the turret style Deltas from that era and the Multiplex series is the most sought after.

OWWM also has a section for people to buy and sell parts and machines. You can probably find a fully restored one by posting a wanted to buy ad because alot of guys like to upgrade. I started out by restoring a 3/4 hp DeWalt MBF that I bought for $50. No sooner did I have it complete and I found a GWI on EBay for $50. While I was restoring that one someone gave me another MBF. I've since restored and sold all three saws and am just finishing up with another GWI that will have an improved table. I also have a Delta 40B Multi-Plex in the cue.

They've mostly gone the way of the dodo.

Yes, there are good RAS's being made, like all good machines think in the thousands of dollars, not hundreds.

I've used a RAS in industry, as well as a swing saw. I think both were 16" or 18", they worked well, not something you would have at home.

I don't have a RAS at home as it takes up a ton of space and doesn't do anything better than my sliding saw does, and many things it doesn't do as well. I do own a CMS, it sits unused in a corner except for the every couple of years I carry it outside to cut a fence board. Once again a sliding saw makes the CMS useless for my applications.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    They've mostly gone the way of the dodo.

Regards, Rod.
    they have mostly gone the way of Dado.
    jack
    English machines

I have to fess up. I have four RAS's. My DeWalt 12" 7790 is my everyday saw, used for almost all my crosscuts, then I have a 10" Sears that I picked up to do dado's on my kitchen drawers etc, and the several closet organizers on my list, plus the two floor to ceiling bookcases. When I got it, I planned to sell it as soon as I was done with the dado's. That was about 3 years ago.

It is so handy to have set up with a dado blade, that I have already bought a replacement for it when it's sold. That is a 10" JC Penny turret (Rockwell) one owner that I picked up for $50.

Finally, there is the OMGA RN600 12/14" with the 37" crosscut that I couldn't turn down. It is three phase, but I also have a new, in the box single phase motor for it. Unfortunately, I have decided that it will also go, when I get around to it. Had to have it, but I really don't need it.

I really need to get started on phase II of cleaning out the shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

'I have two RAS's as well as another older Delta, several years ago I built a bookcase that need a lot of ten degree cuts. On it I used a miter saw and it did ok. A couple years later I built another and on it I used a ten degree wedge on the 90" RAS and I like it much more, so now if I have a number of miter cuts to make I make a new wedge. I now have five or six wedges. I have the two radial's set at 90* with one having a dado set on it. Like the radials much better than the miter.

Ken

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    they have mostly gone the way of Dado.
    LOL.....................Good one Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    LOL.....................Good one Jack.

I didn't catch that earlier, LOL Jack!