Thread: Sharpen 20 pt saw?

Sharpen 20 pt saw?

I'm considering buying the Grobet saw file set from Lee Valley. However I have a 20 pt dovetail saw and I'm not sure I can sharpen it with the smallest file in that set (4" Double Extra Slim). What file should I get to sharpen the 20 pt saw?

BTW - I've never sharpened a saw. I have a pretty good idea how to do it and a couple of saw that are safe to practice on.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I'm considering buying the Grobet saw file set from Lee Valley. However I have a 20 pt dovetail saw and I'm not sure I can sharpen it with the smallest file in that set (4" Double Extra Slim). What file should I get to sharpen the 20 pt saw?

BTW - I've never sharpened a saw. I have a pretty good idea how to do it and a couple of saw that are safe to practice on.
    On the same page that they are selling the 4" double extra slim, they also have a 7 3/4" needle file that they advertise for doing anything finer than 16tpi.

Definitely the needle file.

Needle file, but don't start with a 20 pt. unless you make counterfeit money plates for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Needle file, but don't start with a 20 pt. unless you make counterfeit money plates for a living.
    That's the truth! The 20pt dovetail is still very sharp but eventually I'll have to sharpen it. I'm going to start on an old junk rip saw and an 11 pt Diston X-cut I was given.

I'll add the needle file to the order. With that, I ought to have a selection of files to cover any saw I'm likely to encounter.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I just ordered one as well for my saw. I'll have more practice on an old Disston 12pt crosscut saw that should be arriving today before I need to worry about the dovetail saw though.

I can't believe I dropped nearly $100 on files today. Almost $70 was for the saw files alone!
    -- Dan Rode

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I can't believe I dropped nearly $100 on files today. Almost $70 was for the saw files alone!
    I only bought 3 files since I can't see needing the whole set. And if it turns out I did need more, it was only going to be about $5 more total buying everything individually. So, we'll see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Definitely the needle file.
    +1 needle fole is the way to go

After trying to sharpen my 20pt DTsaw, I'm having it re-toothed to 14pt. I couldn't see the individual teeth. Golden Years my arse !!!

Rollie

Very bright lighting and a magnifying glass make it possible for me
    to see teeth down to about 16 ppi. Smaller than that, and it's no longer possible.

Unless I hit a nail, the smaller teeth should last.
    It's not as if they're cutting anything abrasive.

The cheap magnifiers gave me headaches. I bought some fairly cheap "dental loupes" off ebay, and they work fantastically for tiny saw teeth-good for getting splinters out too.