Thread: 21 gauge or 23 gauge Pinner?

21 gauge or 23 gauge Pinner?

I could use a little advise. I currently have an 18 gauge brad nailer but have been considering a pinner for making picture frames and things like that. Woodcraft has a 21 gauge pinner that shoots headless pins or brads with heads. It's on sale for $80. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5178

On one hand I thought the 21 gauge pinner might hold better than a 23 gauge pin, but I didn't know if the entry hole would be that much bigger. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Although I can't give you information on the question you pose, I would like to say Welcome to the creek! Lot's of real knowledgeable and helpful people here which is guaranteed to get the answer you need.

Hi Bob and ditto to what Steve said: Welcome to the Creek! Great place to hang out!

As to your pinner question. You're right that a 21 ga. would be a bit stronger BUT, for the application you're intending to use it on, I'd have to ask as to exactly how you intend to use it. The reason being, if you're looking at attaching 45° mitered corners, a pinner will most probably come up short for two main reasons: 1) I'm not sure anything over 1" in length is available to begin with. 2) You're dealing with, at least, one piece which would be end grain. Even 18 ga brads have a tendency to follow grain once entry is made. I'm afraid that with something as thin as 21 or 23 ga, you'd find yourself having the pins "blowing out" the side when it hit unruly grain.

I have a 23 ga pinner and love it for small trim or miniature work. But, I would not even think about using it for frames. Mind you, I've never actually tried it for that and someone may come along here and blow my whole hypothesis out of the water, but I know that I've had blowouts like that with even my 18 ga nailer! I too like making frames. For larger frames, with wide stiles/rails, I use biscuits. For thinner ones, I finally invested in a Benchmaster. It drives the "V" shaped nails into the backside of the frame and does a quick and nice job.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

If you are going to 45 your corners, then glue and clamp, a 21 or 23 nail is sufficient.
    Probably not a lot of difference between those two sizes as to holding power.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    If you are going to 45 your corners, then glue and clamp, a 21 or 23 nail is sufficient.
    Probably not a lot of difference between those two sizes as to holding power.
    Steve,

Somehow I wouldn't think that gluing end-grain to end-grain would hold too well. Has it worked for you?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Steve,

Somehow I wouldn't think that gluing end-grain to end-grain would hold too well. Has it worked for you?

Rob
    Yes. It also fills the gaps on your cuts if there are any.
    I also have a corrugated nailer. But sometimes it splits the wood.