Thread: Sleeveless sanding drums - good tool?

Sleeveless sanding drums - good tool?

Lee Valley Sleeveless Sanding Drum

Are these any better than the usual drill press style sanding drums?

I like that I can use sheet abrasives - the typical drum kits have always been less than satisfactory.

Can anyone give a good review? Any restrictions/qualifiers?

Thanks for any and all comments.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-17-2015 at 5:26 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Those look pretty nice but I have no experience, Sam. LV is always good for returns if you don't like 'em.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I tried these. Good point - Not nearly as difficult to get the paper off as the ones I bought that used sleeves. (ridiculously tight) Bad point, I found it hard to get the paper on nice and tight.

I know have a Ridgid edge/spindle sander, and I use the smaller sleeves on it. They slide on and off quite a bit easier. Although they are much shorter than the Ridgid drum, they are long enough for most jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    I tried these. Good point - Not nearly as difficult to get the paper off as the ones I bought that used sleeves. (ridiculously tight) Bad point, I found it hard to get the paper on nice and tight.

I know have a Ridgid edge/spindle sander, and I use the smaller sleeves on it. They slide on and off quite a bit easier. Although they are much shorter than the Ridgid drum, they are long enough for most jobs.
    I've been struggling with the idea of the need for a spindle sander but do such work so rarely that a better drill press drum sander seems adequate. I've just hated any of the ones I have used. Good point Chris that LV would accept a return but still...

As for the point of getting the paper tight on the drum - look what I found -

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 4.47.55 PM.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I've been struggling with the idea of the need for a spindle sander but do such work so rarely that a better drill press drum sander seems adequate. I've just hated any of the ones I have used. Good point Chris that LV would accept a return but still...

As for the point of getting the paper tight on the drum - look what I found -

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 4.47.55 PM.jpg
    I had a Mastercraft Spindle Sander I got during one of the 50% off sales they have quite often. So, $80 or so. It actually worked very well, but, I got the Ridgid instead and sold it for what I paid for it. Ridgid, Ryobi, they all have the same one. I have also read that the Drill Press version can be hard on the machine. I don't know about that, I used mine for years with no ill affect. One big difference I found was when I needed to sand and inside circle. Raising the chuck, putting the oiece in, lowering and locking the chuck was cumbersome and inefficient, where the spindle sander takes care of it seamlessly. I also found that trying to do the inside circle by holding the piece up to avoid lowering and locking the chuck was not a good idea.

I forgot. Mastercraft is the Canadian Tire name.

Before I got my spindle sander, I used this type on my drill press, and was very happy with them.

I made a 5 or 6" tall box to fit on my drill press as a table. The height of the box allowed me to use the entire spindle for sanding. It had a small hole on one side, and a larger hole on the other to accommodate a variety of drums. A hole in the side of the box was for a shop vac hose, and there was a Masonite panel that fit the interior of the box. The panel would drop to the bottom and block air flow from the hole not presently being used.

It worked very well, getting almost all the dust.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Excellent idea Rick. I think I will build a box too with 3 drop-in tops and the vac set up too. This with those sleeveless drums should be all I ever need. Happy not to need to buy another bench machine.
    WQJudge

I have one that I bought before the Ridgid. Works fine for me.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.