Thread: PVC Dust Collection Blast Gate - self cleaning design with a detent feature

PVC Dust Collection Blast Gate - self cleaning design with a detent feature

I recently added a Clearvue Cyclone dust collector to my shop. I plumbed it completely with 6" and 4" PVC piping. I needed a way to close off each branch to maximize the performance of the dust collector. Commercially available plastic blast gates are way to cheap and clog easily. The metal blast gates that solve this issue are price accordingly, EXPENSIVE! So I decided to build my own! This design is self cleaning, and has a detent feature to help keep in open or closed if it is mounted at an angle.

Material: 1/2" baltic birch plywood, glue, screws, spring, ball bearing, set screw, pvc pipe, pvc fitting, epoxy

Construction: Butt joints, clue, screws, epoxy

Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-15-2015 at 7:41 AM.

Well done video and a good idea on the detent. And I learned about a new (to me) adhesive
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Crap. Already bought my gates.

Andy did your epoxy hold up on these? I found your Youtube video on this build and made 8 gates following your plan using epoxy to hold the coupling to the wood. But two of them have already come apart. I repaired with construction adhesive caulking. I would love to hear how yours have held up.

Yes all 15 of my gates are holding up perfectly. What epoxy did you use? Let me know how I can help

Nice looking gates I especialy like the spring detents I used 3/4" poplar and put a 1/4" rabbit and sliced a PVC coupler and glued it to the inside PVC lip. Also did you run bare wire into your PVC pipe to discharge the static?

Cab2.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Leclercq; 11-29-2015 at 3:11 PM.