Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toilet Seals

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You might want to see what your local plumbing code allows to be used.
    Plumbing code schumbing code, are they ever going to look under the toilet, I doubt it. When the house was built and they installed the light fixture over the bathroom vanity they had to take out the box for the light fixture because the builder did not put in a vanity that was sized according to print, it was smaller so the electrical box was not centered over the vanity, so take out the box install the light fixture and the fixture covered the hole in the drywall left from the box. In addition half the electrical box was in a stud cavity used for a cold air return which was visible at the electrical rough in inspection. Both code violations.

In a previous house the flue for the furnace, the sheet metal pipe, was not inserted through the chimney flue liner, it was just butted against the flue liner and not sealed with cement so any back draft caused the flue gases from the OIL furnace to blow into the concrete block wall cavities. The hole through the the block wall was cemented on the inside so it could not be seen until I converted the oil furnace to gas and had to down size the flue pipe. Another non code install by professionals.

I doubt a non wax seal will violate code. I have decided to use a wax seal anyway.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The biggest trouble comes from bolts rusting out,
    This is why either brass or stainless steel bolts are used.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I like Sani Seal toilet rings. Very nice to use...especially holding the bolts in place.

Edit: Guess I shoulda clicked on your first link, George! LOL
    Saw them using these on This Old House.

I've been a plumber for twenty years now. Never used one of the wax free seals. My plumbing supply house doesn't even carry them. I doubt you'll find a plumber around that uses them.