Thread: Buckeye hollow form

Buckeye hollow form

This is a buckeye burl hollow form with African blackwood finial and pedestal. This burl had a lot of defects, and I was pretty lucky that it stayed in one piece. The shape of the finial is one that has been used a lot recently. I added a multi-axis detail to the pedestal to continue the theme of the finial. C and C welcome. 5.5" x 13"

Buckeye HF 2.jpgBuckeye HF 1.jpg

That's gorgeous, Eric. Base and finial pretty cool, too.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Very cool Eric! Nice job of keeping it in one piece and that's an impressively small entry hole too!

Eric, first off...you had me at "buckeye" on this as I'm a big fan of buckeye burl. I commend you on keeping it together and I really like the bit of offset turn work at the base of the stem, very cool. I'll offer two things that don't sit quite right with me. The base just looks 'flat' and doesn't continue any curve transition off the bottom of the stem, with the affect of an abrupt transition. The other thing, while I like the design and shape of the finial, it seems a bit large. Try scaling the finial down to about 2/3 the height and diameter of the base stem and I think it will draw the eye down more to the form, not the finial. Beautiful piece of buckeye burl!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

love the buckeye......only time I see for sale is at symposiums........jealous I am Eric

That's a really great piece!....Perfection in my eyes!

totally fantabulous!! just gorgeous.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

That one is sweet any way you look at it!!!!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Blog Entries
    Yes sweet , I especially like the base . i would buy it if i had room .

Eric, Here is what my goofy eye sees that I really like. In the first picture you can see a void on the right side. When I look at the lower stem the notch you cut out looks like it matches the void. Don't tell me if you didn't plan it that way. I'll still believe you did Neat piece.
    faust

Thanks for all of the comments. Tim, I agree with you assessments I was debating the size of the finial.

Wow stunning piece of burl Eric! Very nice work.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Very very nice work.

Wow, that's amazing work. I love the finial and pedestal as much or more than the HF itself, and I really like the HF! I think the colors and shape, along with the details all make a show worthy piece of work, one that I see as something to aspire toward.
    USMC '97-'01