Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 inch Tenon Saw.

Hi Isaac. Appreciate your feedback. The directional change within my work to that of a more traditional appearance was a conscious decision I made quite recently. It a change that I am now quite comfortable to continue pursuing.

On the subject of hand stamping brass backs, I am hopeful that ongoing discussions with Chalco will insure that the stamp they supply me does meet my expectations.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Looks like that saw will be a pleasure to use. Nice work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can get any font stamp you want,plus sharper or more bluntish cutting edges for wood or metal(the metal ones work fine on wood if they don't get the edges dulled too much on metal,from Buckeye Engraving. Any font you can find on the computer,they can do. And,you can talk to the guy who makes them,too. Once in their computer,you can order stamps far in the future,and they will match what you ordered before. All my stamps came from there,and never a problem. Someone in Australia had a problem a long time ago,but that's the only one I ever heard of.

By stamping your saw backs rather high up on your back,well away from the slit for the blade,you'll do the least distortion.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-18-2015 at 2:22 PM.

Nice job, Stewie. I do like this one as well. As always the finish is stellar. As far as the stamp goes, it will depend on the font size and overall width as Issac and George pointed out. I don't know what others are made from. But mine is A2 and it does a nice job on wood as well. Take care.

Thanks Ron. Appreciate your feedback as well as your thoughts on the hand stamps.

regards Stewie;

Thanks Jim.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    By stamping your saw backs rather high up on your back,well away from the slit for the blade,you'll do the least distortion.
    Funny thing is, on the very old backsaw the English put the stamp very close to the bottom edge, almost falling of. I don't think I have ever read a decent explanation for this practice.

Hi Kees. Its possibly a result of the stamp being applied before the back was folded, as George described earlier within his comments. Maybe there were difficulties encountered within their earlier process used that caused some misalignment issues to where the centre of the fold would end up.

I really have no other ideas that would best explain the outcome you mentioned.

regards Stewie,

I am going to purchase a 10 tonne hydraulic press to assist with the stamping of the brass hardbacks. I have told Chalco to hold off until I can provide them with new instructions.

regards Stewie;

After 5 days to allow the shellac to harden, the handle has now been buffed to a shine.

Stewie;