Thread: Stand up desk dimensions

Stand up desk dimensions

I am planning on building a stand-up desk for a teacher at local high school.
    An ideas or suggestions related to height, type of wood, slant of top are appreciated.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME !!!

A key spec for a stand-up desk is the height. It should feel comfortable for the user, but users vary considerably in height. I'd mock it up with 2x4s and junk plywood, and try it out on the teacher.

Most stand-up desks you see in the current magazines are slanted, but I'm not convinced they have to be. Sitting desks are horizontal, so why should standing desks be different? A slanted top brings some usability issues: stuff wants to slide or roll off the front.

What does the teacher teach? What will the teacher actually be doing at the desk?

I recommend that you take a look at the myriad of stand up desks available now, you'll get a good sense of the normal parameters. Additionally, if you can, I would do an electrically adjustable one. Unless Teach has a second desk, the ability to switch back and forth from sitting to standing is recommended by most folks in the ergonomics field.

You can buy electric adjustable leg & frame sets, to which you simply add the top of your choice.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I would guess that the height needs to be very close to the bottom of a bent elbow while standing up straight.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I would guess that the height needs to be very close to the bottom of a bent elbow while standing up straight.
    Good point, Jason.

I would not want to be forced to raise my arms to put them on the desk-top. Custom-fit for the client.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I think you are right. I checked with some musicians in Nashvillle. and that is a good starting point.
    THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION.

The individual is a music teacher.

Isaac Newton always worked at a stand-up desk, but I don't know how tall he was.

42 inches is a good starting height. Slant? I don't think so, unless it is a drawing table.

T. Jefferson sometimes used a stand up desk. You can probably bring up photos and dimensions as it has gotten a lot of
    coverage over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Good point, Jason.

I would not want to be forced to raise my arms to put them on the desk-top. Custom-fit for the client.
    That's funny. I was thinking the opposite--that a little higher would be better than a little lower than elbow height. The reach/hunch would be hard on the back. I even installed my utility sink (where I clean my paint equipment) with extensions (treated lumber) on the factory legs so that I could touch the bottom of the sink without bending over. I can't do dishes because most kitchen sinks are too low--kills my back.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Here is a link that will get you started. Go adjustable, and you don't have to worry about getting the height just right, Teach can dial it in himself. You'll see what sort of height range is available out there. Also, remember that you can easily "hang" things (i.e. drawers) off the underside of the top, turning it into more of a normal desk from a functional standpoint, rather than being little more than an adjustable height table.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I know I'm way late on this, but proper ergonomics dictates elbows should be at 90*. Shoulder to elbow should hang straight down. Wrists should hang naturally at a negative angle...in other words a table slanted toward the user is not good...keyboard should actually slant away from the user.