Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally frustrated with Nikon pic uploading

Totally frustrated with Nikon pic uploading

I have a Nikon camera. Dell laptop.

Was able to upload only one photo some time ago.

Would like to do more, but cant get the upload to work.

I take the pics, transfer to Desktop, then manage attachements, then upload, the little circle just goes round and roudn, then-"upload" failed.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    What software are you using to upload your pictures? Are you pulling the card from the camera and plugging it into the reader in the computer? Or using a cable to connect the camera to the computer?
    There are many many ways to transfer you pictures from the camera to your computer. For the most part, the software and instructions that comes with your camera is one of the worst ways to do it.
    I am no expert at this, but I do know you have many choices to accomplish the job quickly and easily.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Are you reducing the pics to the size limit of the forum?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Wait, are you talking about uploading pictures to the forum, or just getting the pictures from the camera to your computer?
    If you are talking about uploading pictures to the forum, then Glenn is right. There is a size limit on the pictures you upload. Most photos taken with modern cameras are much larger than this size limit. You will need to resize your photo before uploading. This can also be done quickly and easily. I use a freeware program called Image Resizer that runs in the background, just right click on the photo and chose Resize picture.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-18-2015 at 8:40 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

David, the image file size is usually the culprit. The maximum file size the forum software will accept is listed below.

Filetype Max File-size
    bmp 107.8 KB
    cdr 488.3 KB
    doc 107.8 KB
    dwg 97.7 KB
    dxf 97.7 KB
    eps 107.8 KB
    gif 107.8 KB
    jpe 107.8 KB
    jpeg 107.8 KB
    jpg 107.8 KB
    pdf 156.3 KB
    png 107.8 KB
    psd 107.8 KB
    skp 97.7 KB
    txt 107.8 KB
    wmf 101.6 KB
    xls 97.7 KB
    zip 1.91 MB
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the same problem sowhen I down load the pictures to my computer I then email them to myself. Save them from email and they work fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    I have the same problem sowhen I down load the pictures to my computer I then email them to myself. Save them from email and they work fine.
    You should check into Image Resizer, much quicker and easier process than emailing it to yourself.
    Larry J Browning

There are a lot of good programs out there to resize your images and a lot of them are free.

I have been using ACDSee for years, it is not free but does everything and does it very well. You can batch rename, resize, flip/rotate and more.
    There is a built in editor which will do most of the things need to be done to images. There is also a calendar in the program that lets you see what pictures you took on what day.

Thanks guys.

I will check into this next week. Have to have me knee surgery first.

How much is that program Bill? I am more likely to spend a little cash to save hassle.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

It is like $50.00, they have sales every now and then.

It is a great program, you can catalog all your images and do much more.
    I have around 77,000 images and I can find just about anything I want in a really short time, if I know I took a picture on Xmas 2006, that I want to see just bring up the calendar and go to 12/25/2005 and there it is.

Another thing that is nice is I have a photo site that I upload images to and within ACDSee I can zip then up into one zip file right in the program and upload it.

While you are setting around after your knee surgery you can learn all the ins and outs of it.

http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-18

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    It is like $50.00, they have sales every now and then.

It is a great program, you can catalog all your images and do much more.
    I have around 77,000 images and I can find just about anything I want in a really short time, if I know I took a picture on Xmas 2006, that I want to see just bring up the calendar and go to 12/25/2005 and there it is.

Another thing that is nice is I have a photo site that I upload images to and within ACDSee I can zip then up into one zip file right in the program and upload it.

While you are setting around after your knee surgery you can learn all the ins and outs of it.

http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-18

$50? I might see if I can get the free one to work....
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    $50? I might see if I can get the free one to work....
    I have a lot of friends that use InfanView, I think it is a free one and from what they say it does a lot of the same things as ACDSee,

http://www.irfanview.com/

Thanks Bill, I will definitely download that in a few days. Then hopefully you all can see what i did.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I have a Nikon camera. Dell laptop.

Was able to upload only one photo some time ago.

Would like to do more, but cant get the upload to work.

I take the pics, transfer to Desktop, then manage attachements, then upload, the little circle just goes round and roudn, then-"upload" failed.
    David,

Camera makers make cameras. Almost all are poor software developers. Yes, they make some software for their cameras, but it is typically very poor.

While some of the options mentioned here are very good, the best software for managing and editing photos is Adobe Lightroom (IMO). AFAIK, other software may do a good job of editing photos, but none has the smooth photo upload and management features that LightRoom has.

Starting many years ago, I used the full version of Photoshop for editing and Lightroom for managing the photos. As Photoshop got more expensive and Lightroom got more robust, I used Photoshop less and Lightroom more. When they went to their nutso subscription scheme for Photoshop, I told them to "forget it". Now I use Lightroom for 99% of my photo work and have a few other tools for the rest of the editing.

To upload photos from my cameras to my PC (via Lightroom), I just shove the SD card in a USB reader and stick that in an available USB slot. Lightroom automatically pops up and allows you to import the photos. It can as simple as clicking the "Import" button or as complex as adjusting import settings, applying development settings during import, renaming the files, blah, blah, blah. It's your choice. I've been taking pics for over 60 years, but I still like keep it simple - click the "Import" button and then manipulate the pics after import.

What's the downside? Cost. You can get a perpetual copy of Lightroom for $139 and a subscription for $9.95/month. Worth the money? Depends on your perspective. Nikon cameras cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. They take great pics. But if you can't the get the pics to your laptop to save, edit, share, etc, it's just a hunk of hardware that makes nice clickety noises. I have the LightRoom perpetual license. For me, it's worth the money. Other folks may feel differently.

Regarding licensing and versions...

Adobe wants you to have a subscription, but you can buy LightRoom 5 from Amazon for $139: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photosho...be+lightroom+5 . Upgrading from a prior whole version (3 to 4, 4 to 5, etc.) currently costs $79.

The other option that Adobe is pushing is LightRoom + PhotoShop Creative Cloud subscription for $10/month. If you need PhotoShop, this may be a good option. BUT... If you don't need the full version PhotoShop, then you're wasting money versus just upgrading every year. And there is nothing to stop Adobe from raising the subscription price whenever they want to. The big issue is that, if you let your subscription lapse, you lose the ability to edit your photos. I.e. it will still work, but without a current subscription, it becomes nothing more than a pretty photo viewer. AKA, "useless".

For me, the perpetual version is a much better option, so that's why I bought it. I can use it forever and upgrade only when I want to.

One other point... If you decide to buy Lightroom, you may want to wait until March 9th, 2015. That's the rumored release date for version 6.

I hope this is useful.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. One other feature that works great for me - it's VERY easy to upload pics directly from LightRoom directly to a web photo sharing site like Facebook, Flickr, and SmugMug (my preference). It's just a drag and drop from LightRoom to a photo gallery. For example, after my daughter's dog Bubbles was shot 10 days ago, I created a gallery on SmugMug to share the pics: http://danclark.smugmug.com/Other/Bubbles. It only took me about an hour to upload and edit each pic, create the gallery, and upload the pics. Almost all of that time was editing the pics. (I'm anal-retentive about my pics. )
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Wow
    that is really great info. I really just want something simple-not a challenge, idiot proof
    David