Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggs!

Pretty much anyway, but I was watching Barefoot Contessa making deviled eggs with smoked salmon. Yum. Gonna have to try those. Breakfast is more often over easy, though any form is good with me.

I go out a couple times a month for breakfast - don't really eat much in the mornings usually. Cholesterol special - 3 eggs over easy - very runny; dry toast [butter on the toast inhibits yolk absorption]; potatoes; sausage.

The 2 best egg dishes I have ever had:
    #1 - scrambled eggs at The Inn At Little Washington. They are like nothing else in the world - just scrambled eggs, but man, do they know what they are doing
    #2 - scrambled eggs with smoked Scottish salmon in them - The Minmore House - a B&B - the former Manor House of George Smith, founder of Glenlivet. Water comes from the same spring that feeds the distillery.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Lately I've been trying to prefect my hand at sunny side up - just a little crisp on the outer edges with a well done white and soft yoke. Not as easy as it would seem, as least for me.
    You need a good cast iron skillet that's been properly seasoned to make the perfect ss-up egg(s).
    The non-stick and aluminum pans don't get hot enough.

I actually started a thread here about this a number of years ago - while on my own quest for the perfect SS-up egg(s).

Here- have a look at these two threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=cast

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=cast
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 02-18-2015 at 4:32 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I love eggs. I'll eat them just about any way they're served. In general, though, I eat over-easy (in bacon grease) and scrambled, probably average a dozen a week. If they're scrambled, I love the garden and barnyard thrown in, same for omelets.

For those that are wondering, my total cholesterol is about 130, in a good ratio. Cholesterol in your food does not result in cholesterol in your blood stream. There's actually mounting evidence that many of the vegetable oils are to blame, because they cause damage and inflammation to your blood vessels, which allows the LDLs to stick and build up.

And, while I've never eaten a raw egg straight up (I would, just haven't), I have tossed them into breakfast shakes before. Farm-fresh eggs that haven't been washed are actually safer in that regard because the washing that the store-bought eggs gets removes a natural protective layer from the shell that inhibits bacterial growth.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I'll take them in a sausage mcmuffin! Of course, I'm not sure if they are actually in a sausage mcmuffin!. LOL

I prefer them farm fresh and not store bought. All the better if someone cooks them for me. :-)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'll take them in a sausage mcmuffin! Of course, I'm not sure if they are actually in a sausage mcmuffin!. LOL
    They were when I worked there 22+ years ago. I cracked a LOT of eggs each morning when I was an opener. One in each hand, slice them almost all the way through on the thin lip of the stainless mixing pitcher, and open them into the pitcher. Messy, but quick, and I rarely got a piece of shell into the egg.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I like mine scrambled with chopped green onions, bacon bits and velveeta.
    What is Velveeta?

Judson,

I cook my sunny side up using the same method that Larry's grandmother used:
    She made them by spooning bacon grease over them while they were cooking.
    I cook up a few strips of bacon and then use a spatula to splash the drippings onto the whites as my eggs cook on medium heat. Whites get nicely cooked and the yolks are pure sunny! Had some yesterday morning with the bacon, a slice of toast and coffee -- Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    What is Velveeta?
    Petroleum derivative, a color of yellow, and a consistency, that are not present in nature. They thin it down to make the non-solid version for nachos at ballparks.

A by-product of the cracking process which also produces non-dairy creamer in those little foil-topped cups, which you find at the finer restaurants.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Petroleum derivative, a color of yellow, and a consistency, that are not present in nature. They thin it down to make the non-solid version for nachos at ballparks.

A by-product of the cracking process which also produces non-dairy creamer in those little foil-topped cups, which you find at the finer restaurants.
    Well I don't drink coffee or need creamer, but the way you describe Velveeta makes it sound delicious. Is it fit for human digestion or is Ken just super-human?

Velveeta maybe not be your fancy pants cheese but its soooo dreamy and melts good too. Some call it liquid gold

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-18-2015 at 5:56 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Is it fit for human digestion or is Ken just super-human?
    No to #1
    Yes to #2

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Velveeta maybe not be your fancy pants cheese but its soooo dreamy and melts good too. Some call it liquid gold

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
    Good Lord in Heaven above !!!

There is not one single phrase, in one sentence, that sounds edible, much less tasty.

Its claim to fame is lump-free goop when heated. Take particular note of the words "intended" and "connote" and "edible" in the second bit.........

As a result, when melted/heated, Velveeta maintains a fully integrated, even, clump-free liquid texture.....
    The name "Velveeta" is intended to connote a velvety smooth edible product.........

Good Lord in Heaven above !!!

There is not one single phrase, in one sentence, that sounds edible, much less tasty.

Its claim to fame is lump-free goop when heated. Take particular note of the words "intended" and "connote" and "edible" in the second bit.........

As a result, when melted/heated, Velveeta maintains a fully integrated, even, clump-free liquid texture.....
    The name "Velveeta" is intended to connote a velvety smooth edible product.........

Its as american as cheese burgers and apple pie.

Sold in slices too makes excellent grilled cheeses
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....