Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These are mine, let's see your's

These are mine, let's see your's

#3 sized hand planes, that is. On another site, there is a "Review" going on. Each day, a different "size" of handplane is displayed.

Today being the third day of the review means #3 sized handplane photos.
    IMAG0088.jpgIMAG0089.jpgIMAG0090.jpgIMAG0091.jpg
    L-R:
    Wards Master Quality #3 by Stanley, from WWII
    Millers Falls #8 type 4
    Windsor #33 Scrub plane, from Harbor Freight
    Dunlap#3, York Pitch, West Germany iron
    So, let see YOUR #3 planes, even them Bedrock ones.

Tomorrow, it will be #4 sized planes, be prepared.

Aww I don't have a 3 😞

Blog Entries
    Been there, Done that...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lanes-Compared

Maybe my post was a few months early.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I do not have a pic of my #3, but it is the oldest plane I own. It dates to about 1895, and sees regular use.

Regards,

Chris

How about 4 @ #2 size

David Turner

DSCN0337.jpgDSCN0338.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David Turner View Post
    How about 4 @ #2 size

David Turner
    David, do you use those 2's or collect them? I stumbled on to my #2 but havent seen another around here since.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Here's my No. 3. Type 11.

bailey3-c.jpg

Blog Entries
    Does four deuces beat three of a kind?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Does four deuces beat three of a kind?

jtk
    I think so but nothing beats a full house.

I'll play.

These are six of my #3 sized working planes. From left to right a shop made Krenov style with Hock iron, a Stanley (I believe) type 13 with Hock iron, a Woodriver V3, a Stanley post war with Hock iron, another shop made Krenov, and a Philly Coffin smoother. Of the group the first Krenov and the Woodriver get the most use. The Philly smoother is the newest and I'm still learning it's quirks, once known I expect it will move into the often used group. I've a couple or three more Stanley's in different stages of refurbishing but they are on the back burner for now. I've also several #3 sized Krenov style Beech blanks cut and sized, just needing the iron bedded and glue up that are also stuck on the back burner.

BTW, the slab of Walnut is the back side of a coffee table top that is currently in the short rows, the Beech base is finished, it just needs the top finished and the mortice buttons cut. Once those deeds are done it goes for MsBubba's inspection to learn its fate....living room or Goodwill.
    Last edited by ken hatch; 02-19-2015 at 5:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I'll play.

These are six of my #3 sized working planes. From left to right a shop made Krenov style with Hock iron, a Stanley (I believe) type 13 with Hock iron, a Woodriver V3, a Stanley post war with Hock iron, another shop made Krenov, and a Philly Coffin smoother. Of the group the first Krenov and the Woodriver get the most use. The Philly smoother is the newest and I'm still learning it's quirks, once known I expect it will move into the often used group. I've a couple or three more Stanley's in different stages of refurbishing but they are on the back burner for now. I've also several #3 sized Krenov style Beech blanks cut and sized, just needing the iron bedded and glue up that are also stuck on the back burner.

BTW, the slab of Walnut is the back side of a coffee table top that is currently in the short rows, the Beech base is finished, it just needs the top finished and the mortice buttons cut. Once those deeds are done it goes for MsBubba's inspection to learn its fate....living room or Goodwill.

Interesting collection of planes, love the krenov planes and the Philly. Nice tos ee Wood river get some love, as a lot of guys here hate them.

I have a Miefer Coffin plane about the size of your philly plane, bought it back in the 80's. It has been a well loved and well used tool.

Would love to see the coffee table finished....

We use the same model jointer plane. I love the feel of a wooden jointer for face work, still plan on buying a LV low angle Jointer.

Chris

I have two ..

An English Stanley #3, which is now tuned to an inch of its life

.. and a Lie-Nielson #3 (50 degree bed with #4 handle - you honesty do not think I would leave anything unmodified, would you! ) ...

Well ... three if you count the Veritas Small BU Smoother ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Some of my #3s

1907-09
    1907_09.jpg
    1900-08
    1900_08.jpg
    1911.jpg
    (3) corrugated SW-era
    1931_32 3C.jpg
    1931-32.jpg
    No_3_057.jpg
    1942-45
    1942_5.jpg
    unused 1946-47
    1946_47.jpg

I merely have a single pre war Stanley #3 which I use as a scrub. Works great for that

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Some of my #3s

1907-09
    1907_09.jpg
    1900-08
    1900_08.jpg
    1911.jpg
    (3) corrugated SW-era
    1931_32 3C.jpg
    1931-32.jpg
    No_3_057.jpg
    1942-45
    1942_5.jpg
    unused 1946-47
    1946_47.jpg
    Wonderful, nice seeing these so well kept!