Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: These are mine, let's see your's

Blog Entries
    My #3 was getting tuned up like Derek's, until I got tired of trying to open the mouth up enough to get the LV PM-V11 blade in it. I am surprised no one else has shown their Stanley 5 1/4 plane as they use the same blade/chipbreaker... I took the blade & chipbreaker out of my 5 1/4 and put them in the #3 and put the PM-V11 blade in the 5 1/4 plane. The 5 1/4 will see much harder use anyway. I am still working on my Purple Heart smoother. Recently I have discovered that some spokeshaves have fine enough adjustments so that I can quickly set them to take as fine or course a shaving as most planes can. How about a shave with a honking 5" blade, thats what I'm talking about!

IMG_0250.jpeg-SM.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-19-2015 at 4:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Interesting collection of planes, love the krenov planes and the Philly. Nice tos ee Wood river get some love, as a lot of guys here hate them.

I have a Miefer Coffin plane about the size of your philly plane, bought it back in the 80's. It has been a well loved and well used tool.

Would love to see the coffee table finished....

We use the same model jointer plane. I love the feel of a wooden jointer for face work, still plan on buying a LV low angle Jointer.

Chris
    Chris,

Thanks,

I'm with you on the woodies, I started out using the LN #8 on the slab and it was kicking my butt. Changed to the wood stock and all I can say is "sweet". The Philly plane is still recovering from the shock of living in the desert, I expect once it settles down it will be a goto smoother.

I'm just a chamfer or two from having the top finished, I'll cut the button tenons for attaching the top and slop some oil on that sucker tomorrow. Photos to follow.

ken

Blog Entries
    Mine. The #3's are on the other side of the #2's, top row.

My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Blog Entries
    Greg,

I am going to save that picture just in case someone tries to tell me there are too many planes in my shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken what is the jointer in your pic? Is it the regular ECE model?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Ken what is the jointer in your pic? Is it the regular ECE model?

Mike,

Yep, good eye. It followed me home back in the mid 70's. They haven't changed much :-). It is still one of my favorites when I need to remove a lot of wood but do not want to use a scrub plane. I started out using a LN #8 because it is fairly new and has been little used, it didn't take long to put it back in the till and bring out the wood stock jointer. My arms and back couldn't stop thanking me for the change.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

Yep, good eye. It followed me home back in the mid 70's. They haven't changed much :-). It is still one of my favorites when I need to remove a lot of wood but do not want to use a scrub plane. I started out using a LN #8 because it is fairly new and has been little used, it didn't take long to put it back in the till and bring out the wood stock jointer. My arms and back couldn't stop thanking me for the change.

ken
    Thanks for the reply, I have been wanting to get a wooden jointer and was looking at them on Highlands site. Good to know they give your arms a break!

Greg,you'd better hope an earthquake doesn't hit!!

We had a small one here a few years ago. The epicenter was about 100(?) miles from me. The only thing that happened in my shop was a drill set on a bottom shelf slid off onto the floor,about 3" below. it might have caused cracks in the Washington Monument. I'm not sure if they ever figured out if the cracks were from the quake or not.

Well, I do happen to have one in the 5-1/4 sizeIMAG0098.jpg
    seems to be a SW era, called Four Square Household Jack, made by stanley.
    IMAG0100.jpg
    Has a very destintive lever cap, too. Not too bad a plane.