Thread: file handle sizing

file handle sizing

I have a number of files without handles in various sizes. In addition, I just bought a set of saw sharpening files. I'm tired of holding most of my files by the tang.

I want to pick up a handful of file handles but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what handle fits what file. I'll probably buy the wooden Nicholson handles as they are widely available. Is there a reference anywhere the explains the various types and sizes of handles?

I don't have a lathe or I'd make something myself. I don't need world class handles, just something on the end to grab a hold of.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I've just taken scrap chunks and rounded off the corners. Ends up looking octagon shaped. Also bought a cheep set of files at the local HD that included some handles, work just fine.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-18-2015 at 1:32 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Some of my small files have old wine corks for handles. Some of my files have tree branches for handles.

If you want factory made handles, just buy one of each size and test them out to figure how many you need of each size. Most decent hardware stores will have at least two or three sizes on hand.

You could also measure the tang width about an inch from the shoulder of the file and then measure the size of the handle opening.

I bought some nice looking ones online that had to be drilled.

Stick with a brand you know if you buy from an online source.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some of my small files have old wine corks for handles. Some of my files have tree branches for handles.

jtk

That's clever, Jim, I'm slapping my forehead.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Yeah, I feel your pain.... Worst case, try some tape on the handle, the question then becomes, what kind of tape! Oh wait, they have this tape that you can put on your fingers....

I dropped you a PM, let me know if you don't receive it. I can send you a couple of handles so that you have something to compare against.

I was able to cobble together a chart from nicholson's web site

File Size
    File Type 4" 5" 6" 7" 8" 9" 10" 12" 14"
    Taper 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 - -
    Slim 4 4 4 4 3 - 2 - -
    X Slim 4 4 4 4 4 - - - -
    XX Slim - 4 4 4 4 - - - -
    Mill 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 0 00
    Flat 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 0 00
    Hand 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 0 -
    Half Round 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 00 000
    Warding 3 - 2 - 2 - 1 - -
    Knife 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 0 -
    Round 4 - 3 - 2 - 3 1 0
    Square 4 - 4 - 3 - 2 1 0
    Cantsaw - - 2 - 1 - 1 - -
    Crosscut - - - - 1 - 0 - -
    Tanged Horse - - - - - - - 000 000
    Platers Special - - - - - - - - 000
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I have enough small scrap pieces laying around that I could make 2 handles for every file and the pile would not look any smaller.

I should have thought of that to start. I don't have a lathe, but square or octogon is just fine. I also have some old broom handles and larger dowels that are already round.

I really like free better. Thanks Guys!
    -- Dan Rode

Lee Valley sells them as well as Tools 4 Working Wood.

Both places indicate which handle number is required for each file size.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Yep, that works. I like to make octagonal tapered handles for my files. They are quick and easy to make, comfortable, and free.
    Zach Dillinger and Joshua Klein recently put up some nice blog posts on making these handles.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some of my files have tree branches for handles.
    There you go. Prime first growth, winter hardened, range fed, north american hardwoods.

Darrell
    even a golf ball with a hole drilled in it will work
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

For smaller tangs, I use quarter inch inside diameter rubber tubing also called compressed air line. Any THICK tubing will do. Don't use a file without a handle. If it catches (stops abruptly), and they do, as you're pushing it, that tang can suddenly be imbedded in your palm or wrist deeply.

Thanks Steve. The blog posts are great.

Making handles is something I can do for fun when I have a spare half hour in the shop. It's funny how things progress. First I'm just going to buy a few handles, then maybe jam a piece of scrap on the end of a file. Now, I'm thinking I'll make some nice tapered octagon handles

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Yep, that works. I like to make octagonal tapered handles for my files. They are quick and easy to make, comfortable, and free.
    Zach Dillinger and Joshua Klein recently put up some nice blog posts on making these handles.
    -- Dan Rode

I use the golf ball method. Drill a hole, drive in the tang, done. That makes it a hole in one, right?
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill White; 02-19-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

File handles can be like chisel handles. Make what feels good in your paws.
    Where did I put that tape measure...