Thread: Metal cutting tool question/recommendations

Metal cutting tool question/recommendations

I have a very nice ForedomTX (a super upgrade to a Dremel) but I know I'm not getting the best use out of it. I have been primarily using it for drilling and polishing some metal and bead work that I do.

Now I'm about to start cutting some custom knife handles from 1/8" brass plate and some C-Tek type material. I know with the right tool I can cut and shape using my Foredom but I need some direction.

What to use to cut irregular shapes - discs, burs, others? Can someone recommend the size and/or material(diamond,carbide, others)?

Links with pictures will be very useful

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 02-18-2015 at 5:51 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

For 1/8" brass plate I would use a:
    1) Bandsaw
    2) Scrollsaw with metal cutting blade (look at jewlery supply houses)
    3) Manual jewlers bow saw
    4) Jigsaw

I would use your dremell type tool to finish it but i would use a saw to cut it.

Jewlers saw:
    saw.jpg

Hi Sam,
    Try calling a dental lab and see what rotary instruments they use to contour and finish metal.

I used to work in a dental lab and we never cut metal with the "handpiece", mostly used as I do for jewelry work, i.e. for polishing, trimming or drilling.

And to your recommendations Mike S - I've got those options figured out. I'm asking how and which cutters one might use that are associated with the Dremel type machines. Just looking to avoid buying stuff on speculation.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

My personal experience with saw type bits on rotary machines is that they are hard to control and can be pretty dangerous. I think that a rotary type tool is not a good way to cut 1/8" brass plates for knife handles and there are much more effective tools for this job. But YMMV!

I agree with Mike. A rotary tool is not the best way to cut flat stock. A coping saw or scroll saw would be a better approach.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

So the consensus is that I have been using my Foredom TX appropriately and that venturing into cutting shapes out of soft metal (as thick as 1/8" is not a good use for this tool. Thank you. That's what I was asking. Back to the old standards .

Thank you.

Mike - what does - YMMV - mean? That's a new one to me.
    WQJudge

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (i.e. you may get different results)

Correct, "your mileage may vary" - In other words these are just my experiences and not necessarily what you might experience... just like the auto manufactures say about their MPG numbers.

When my father first got his Dremell some 35 years ago I tried to cut some copper tubing with it. The bit jumped, wrapped my shirt up and gave me a nice slice in the middle of my belly. That was my first lesson about using the right tool for the job. In my opinion your rotary tool is not the right tool for cutting brass plate. A rotary tool is great for grinding and polishing... but pretty miserable at sawing.

A "porta-band" used in a common vise is pretty hard to beat.Even though we have multiple,vertical/s and horizontal/s metal BS's.......I'll still throw the porta-band in the vise when cutting.Sometimes out of shear laziness(don't have to walk across shop),but also in cases of "mystery metal" and certain exotics where the blade will possibly be toast.It's simple economics,short cheap blade vs long expensive blade getting possibly,trashed.

A prota-band and a vertical,stationary sander,and there isn't much on a knife that you can't accomplish?I've even seen "kits" that allow the use of longer narrow belts being used on typical 6x48 machines.I think they're 60x1 inch belts?........there's an arm that bolts onto the side of the parent machine that comes with a "third" wheel.You can also run two different grit belts at the same time on a regular 6x48......simply tear the belt/s and mount them up.A 60 and a 120 makes a nice combo.Generally,metal grinding has a faster sfpm but for occasional use,the slower,wood belt speed is fine for metal.Just disconnect it from the DC.....you can run a short section of duct into a sand filled catch can....and some folks use water traps on metal grinders(a little dish soap will improve this approach).Or borrow your BIL's shop vac,haha.

Just change the pulleys in your band saw and use that. Both of my bandsaws, old industrail Deltas, are set up for steel and wood with factory double pulley sets and I use them for both.

Larry

Sam, a shear or bandsaw would be my choice for 1/8" thick metal..............Regards, Rod.

1. Plasma Cutter
    2. Bandsaw