Thread: Grizzly G0461 12" Sliding Table Saw - Anybody have experience with 'em?

Grizzly G0461 12" Sliding Table Saw - Anybody have experience with 'em?

I have just discovered that there is a Grizzly G0461 12" Sliding Table Saw available here locally. Asking price for it is $1000, which is a darn sight cheaper than the Paolini ($4,500) and Laguna ($3,500). The Paolini is also too large for my space, not to mention weighing in at 790kg. The Laguna is their odd hybrid cabinet/slider, so I'd prefer to pass on it. The saw is apparently no longer available from Grizzly. It's a 3 phase machine, which doesn't present a problem for me.

So, my question is for anybody who has experience with this Grizz, or their other sliding table saws, especially the G0588 and G0591. Good, bad, okay? I realize it's not a Martin or Altendorf, but it's also does not carry a 5 figure price tag. It only has a 59" sliding stroke, good for crosscutting plywood, although it seems odd that they stopped there rather than pushing it to 61" so that Baltic Birch sheets could be handled. In the event I do get it, suggestions on mobilizing it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    I have not used one, but that is a steal. I would buy it before someone else does.

You found a $5000+ sliding table saw for $1000 and you are asking about it instead of running out there with cash in hand? Are you crazy?

I don't have any tools with a 1" arbor so I just don't know the blade availability. I'd just make sure you can find the 1" arbor blades of the type you need, including dado, and that they fit that machine. My suspicion is that 5/8" arbor blades would be significantly more available and less expensive ... possibly offsetting the initial machine cost. Similar point about the fence. Also ... I looked at a video online, and it doesn't look like an easy setup for finger joints or tenons. Definitely want to weight that as a possible drawback (or price leverage) if you don't have another "more traditional" tablesaw.

I'm pretty sure there are more good quality 12" blades with a 1" arbor hole than with 5/8"-especially since 12" sliding miter saws have become so prevalent. 10" would be a different story.

1" arbor blades are no problem at all to find. A jig for box joints is pretty easy to make for a slider too.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have a 16" RAS a 10" powermatic 65 cabinet saw and a 12" Powermatic 71 cabinet saw. You can get most any blade in a 1" arbor 12" format that you can in a 5/8" arbor 10" format. With some careful shopping I have picked up many brand new 15" and 16" blades for my RAS for much cheaper than I could get the same blade in a 10" version. I also picked up 12" Amana Dado set for $100. I would not shy away from the saw due to the 1" arbor.

Add me to the list of if you 3 phase power and 1000.$ I'd be on my way with a trailer. I paid almost 7000 for a Hammer with 79" stroke last year. On sale.

Blades are available with any arbour size you specify..............Rid.

Ridge carbide can make any custom blade you want and it only takes a few days to complete - I discovered them when looking for a 12" neg hook angle fine finish blade with 5/8" arbor for my CL delta RAS. Nice company and fabulous products - I send all my blades to them for sharpening too.