Thread: Marking Tool Recommendation

Marking Tool Recommendation

With the integration of Neander tools into the shop comes the need for a marking tool. Do decent wood and brass marking tools exist that don't break the bank? Is that the best design? What do you folks recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    With the integration of Neander tools into the shop comes the need for a marking tool. Do decent wood and brass marking tools exist that don't break the bank? Is that the best design? What do you folks recommend?
    I expect this is a sharpening question in a different guise :-). For with grain marking I like a "pin" gauge of which I have several some cheap, some not so cheap. For cross grain a knife or wheel works better, same story I have several, some cheap, some not so cheap. Cost is not the best indicator of utility...Best way I can put it: You may need to kiss a bunch of frogs before finding the best of each type for you.

ken

I have a tite mark wheel gauge and a Hamilton knife gauge and they are the only ones I've used. I like both. I reach for the Hamilton first but for fiddly settings (like guessing the middle) I like the fine tuning on the tite mark. I'd try a tite mark mini to see if you like the wheel gauges.

Blog Entries
    These are one of those things where one is "best" for one person and another is "best" for someone else. I have a few types but, my go-to seems to be the wheel gauge; usually the eccentric Lee Valley special edition from awhile back. The offset rod and head shape just work well for me. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Search Kebiki. They use a knife to score the wood and work both with and cross grain.

The Massachusetts made Woodjoy is similar, with a handy knob for setting the offset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    If you are talking about a sliding gauge marking tool, there are many options.

Best for not breaking the bank is the inexpensive Stanley pin gauge. The more modern one with a brass screw and brass inset in the fence can usually be found used for a reasonable price. The pin can be sharpened to a knife edge for scoring a lines with the grain.

Knife Gauge.jpg

Here a pin gauge with the tip sharpened to a knife edge is used to score some squirrelly grain before using a rabbet plane.

My most used marking gauge is the Tite-Mark wheel gauge. Here is a post of mine comparing it to other wheel type gauges:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...as-Wheel-Gauge

It may be the one folks are thinking of when mentioning breaking the bank. I would buy it again and have considered purchasing a second one, but it would only be convenient to have two, not necessary.

If you use a pencil for marking, a combination square can be used for that purpose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)