Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4' LED shop light

I bought 3 of the FEIT LED shop lights to give them a try. Liked them so much I went back and bought 7 more at Costco. Light output seems a (maybe) bit less than my old T8s but the LEDs are very bright. Very happy.

My "old" T8s were all failing after a few years. The T8s were flush mount and hard wired on drywall ceiling. I bit the bullet and installed remodel boxes and plugs at each light location. I flush mounted the light-weight FEITs using just two screws in the ceiling and the slots on the back of the light. Plugged them into the new outlets. Now, if I want to move a light, it's easy to do ... like if I miscalculated on the path for new dust collection ductwork, not that it would ever happen. Replacement will now be easy as well, if needed. Given the price of a decent T8 fixture (one that won't burn out the cheap ballast in 12 months), the FEITs at $40 seem an excellent value even if they last just a year, and I suspect they'll last quite a bit longer.

A friend who works at Costco said the lights are one of their hottest selling items. While we were talking for about 15 minutes in the store, half a pallet was sold. He said they have received very few returns, which is a good sign, at least in the short term.
    Last edited by Tom Hyde; 04-25-2015 at 10:08 AM.

I saw those bulbs at Home Depot too, I looked at the lumens they put out and they didn't appear to put out that much light...may buy a pair and give them a try, YMMV.

Steve, no problem I hope they work great for you. On a side note BigAssFans now sells LED lights. I am looking into them, they put out 13K lumens!!! Yes they are $400 each and they can come with a proximity switch for $40.......

Bryan, Did you look at the high output T5 fluorescents? They are a lot brighter than the T8s and any LEDs I found. I put nine 4-bulb fixtures in my new shop and the light intensity and color temp is incredible. I wired them so I can turn on separate zones. (I also put lower intensity LED lights in cans in the ceiling all through the several rooms so I can get around everywhere to fetch tools and materials without turning on the bright working lights.)

A great feature of the T5s is the electronic ballast can be wired such that when I throw the switch just two of the four bulbs in each fixture come on which is plenty of light for most tasks. I have separate switches mounted higher in each area that turn on the remaining bulbs when I want extra light. I am extremely pleased with these and would buy the same today if building again.

Extra light is even more important for aging eyes. I think I paid about $80 each for the fixtures and $10 each for the bulbs.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hyde View Post
    I flush mounted the light-weight FEITs using just two screws in the ceiling and the slots on the back of the light.
    I added a third screw to keep the light from sliding back along the key slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    I didnt trust the mounting holes, and screwed through the center section.

I replaced all 5 of my shop lights with FEIT 41k leds. Love them.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 04-26-2015 at 3:56 PM.

I just ordered some 4' replacement LED lamps from Greentek Energy systems to try out. Beauty of this option is that I already have fixtures with 4' T8's. One simply removes the ballast and direct wires with nonshunted tombstones and you are good to go. They have several to pick from the ones I selected are $10.25 per lamp. They come in 5K and 6K clear and frosted. If ones existing fixtures are serviceable this is a good option as new fixtures and wiring not required (except within the fixture which is quite simple). If these work out I'll be changing out the lamps as they fail.

I've also purchased one of the costco LED lights and they work very nicely - a good option for new areas that need lighting.
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    Good idea, did that today. Thanks! Really love these lights but not on my head.

I just bought LED 4' shop lights in my local Costco for $35. Feit brand, 38W, 3700 lumens, 4100K temperature. These are nice bright lights. I bought 5 for my basement and they were so nice, I bought 12 more for my shop. You can find other opinions on these earlier in this thread. You can also buy them at Costco online for about $40 with free shipping.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-...100155638.html

Now that you guys have been using the Sam's LED shop lights for a few months, are you still happy with them? I'm looking at getting a few for my garage, as the price and light output is tempting. It seems like most have liked them so far, just wanted one more opportunity for someone to vent before pulling the trigger.

I bought one from Costco and one from Sam's to compare. I like the one from Sam's better. It appears brighter and it has a pull switch that I wanted where I have it installed.

The Sam's club bulb has more of a blue tint, while the Costco bulb is more brown.

Steve

11. I love the ones I got from Sam's and won't go back to fluorescent! I had T-12 hi output fixtures that put out 17,200 lumen each and two four foot led fixtures from Sam's blows them away with only 8400 lumen combined. It's like night and day. I can also take pictures now with out needing to do color correction settings.