Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4' LED shop light

Thumbs up 4' LED shop light

This evening while at Sam's I came across a bright 4' ceiling light fixture, upon further inspection it was a 4200 lumen 5000k fixture complete for $35. I may have to go get me one or two of those.....The LED's were in a protective tube, would post the URL but it doesn't have any info yet.....I am leaning very hard on installing LED lighting with maybe an alternate run for some halogen in the winter......

Bryan

As an FYI, Costco has a 4' Feit LED unit for $31.99. Comes with hang chains and a 4', maybe 6' cord. It does not have a pull cord or any other switch ON the light. Thus, it should be plugged into a switched outlet.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    As an FYI, Costco has a 4' Feit LED unit for $31.99. Comes with hang chains and a 4', maybe 6' cord. It does not have a pull cord or any other switch ON the light. Thus, it should be plugged into a switched outlet.
    I just installed 6 of the Costco/Feit LED's in our garage shop. 38 watts a piece, 3700 lumens at 4100K. Since they are bright enough, I have 2 switches and 3 lights per switch. I like the lights!

$31.99 at Costco (Utah?) is a good price - Costco online shows $89.99 for (2) but backordered a month. Amazon.com has them, apparently direct from Feit, for $57.99 (free shipping, no tax).

Great! Looks like prices are dropping all over. I've two of the Costco and 5 of the HD (bought for $25@). On the face of it I prefer the HD because they are switched, have 1 continuous lens, and are designed to be linked together.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    $31.99 at Costco (Utah?) is a good price - Costco online shows $89.99 for (2) but backordered a month. Amazon.com has them, apparently direct from Feit, for $57.99 (free shipping, no tax).
    Costco recently has a sale for $10 off, but I could never find any at my local store. They must be back to the normal price.

Steve

Sounds interesting. But, any idea of the life expectancy of the LED and replacement cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Sounds interesting. But, any idea of the life expectancy of the LED and replacement cost?
    It is probably safe to assume a life expectancy of 10 years or so. I don't beleive the claims some manufacturers stated early on about 20 year life expectancy. Lately I've seen claims for a much lower life span. However, a lot depends on whether you run them all day long, every day, or a few hours here and there. As LEDs get near end-of-life, they lose efficiency, so your 100W equivalent LED might seem like a 60W or 75W bulb. And that's not bad, unless the color temp is way off from when it was new.or the light levels fluctuate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    ...any idea of the life expectancy of the LED and replacement cost?
    The Feit shop lights in this thread have an advertised 50,000 hrs (45.7 yrs) life. This works out to exactly 3 hrs a day, every day. On a 24x7x365 basis this works out to "only" 5.7 years. They don't have a replacement bulb listed, but an equivalent bulb to replace a fluorescent tube is $27.99 online. IMHO they are not serviceable. In 45.7 years you'll probably want a newer bulb technology anyway. Or, um, you'll be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    I have one of these over the desk/craft table in our basement. It is really easy to open up the end and change out the cord. I put 10' or so of lamp cord with an inline switch. Then I plugged it into one of the remote Christmas light on/off switches and push a button sitting at the desk to turn the light on/off. Highly recommend the light.

Keith Pleas: thanks for that information. I have heard all sorts of conflicting information as to how long the LEDs will last as well as cost of replacement bulbs.
    'Gonna' keep an eye on this topic.

I stopped by Costco this evening and looked at it, the one @ SC has higher lumens 4200 vs 3700 and a higher temp light closer to daylight bulbs. The one @ SC was actually on and very bright. As to replacement by then they will have organic lights you spray on the walls and think of how bright you want it and it adjusts.......

Another point to consider is weight.
    I just swapped out a 4' 2 tube T8 fluorescent w/ reflector for one of the Costco 2 tube LED lights. The LED unit weighs about half as much, or less.

Like I've written elsewhere here, I've a bunch of "dying" 8' T12's to replace, most on 12' and 14' ceilings. I'm going to appreciate the light weight, about 5 lbs, of the LED replacements when I'm up at the height of the light.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I picked up the SC last night will install it this afternoon. I am with you the weight. To ME the bigger factor is not breaking one when I hit it with something long...lost a number of bulbs that way.....I am still working in my garage, shop plans are in work providing we continue to live here in Ohio.....the coldest temps I have seen since Nebraska 1990-1993......-10 is just to dam cold.....

15. I'd be interested in anyone's experience with the Sam's Club 4' LED shop light made by Lights of America. The stated rating is 4200 lumens, but I also know that FTC ordered Lights of America to pay 21 million for wildly exaggerating the light output of their LED bulbs (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/246355581.html). So has anyone had good or bad experience with this 4' LED shop light? Is it a decent product?