Thread: Brushing lacquer....

Brushing lacquer....

A friend asked me to do some turning for him. I hadn't turned for a while. I turned a test piece and normally for something like this I use boiled linseed oil to pop the grain, followed by a couple coats of de-waxed shellac and finally a couple coats of Deft brushing lacquer.

I turned a couple test pieces and with my finishing regimen wasn't getting the results I typically see. My can of brushing lacquer is probably 7-9 years old. So, on a suspicion, last week I bought a new can of Deft. Today, I dumped the old stuff into the can and placed it outside with the can open to allow it to evaporate so I can place it in the trash. While I was outside, using lacquer thinner,I cleaned the jar with the brush lid so I could reuse it. Within in seconds.....maybe a minute at the most....the lacquer in that can became clouded. I was shocked how fast that happened. I had read that moisture can cause lacquer to cloud but I saw it today.

Not sure if brushing lacquer has a shelf life but after opening and using the new can, I was able to obtain the results I did historically.

It's been several years since I turned. It's been that long or longer since I used this finishing regimen.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-19-2015 at 9:24 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's kind of cool - - in a twisted warped way - - when you see that happen isn't it?

I had some high power ( above 7% alcohol) bottles of ale on the back porch one Christmas when it dipped down well below zero.
    I thought for sure they were going to freeze and was surprised when I brought one inside to see it was still liquid.

I opened it up, and much to my surprise, as soon as the top came off the whole bottle froze solid right before my eyes!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon