Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We live in wondrous times!

We live in wondrous times!

As some may know, I am deaf and for the last 3 years have been hearing through the use of a cochlear implant. Being totally deaf for 17 months was an interesting experience at best. While the hearing I have isn't perfect, it's good enough that while turning at the lathe yesterday, I had a boom box tuned into a local classic rock station. I was able to recognize and enjoy music while I was turning.

About 18 months ago, I had heard of a woman in Australia receiving sight via similar technology. This past year I read of FDA approval for a similar bionic eye implant here in the US. Here's a link to a article about a man at the Mayo clinic where they gave him an implant. He saw his wife for the first time in 10 years.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/hea...-eye/23530771/

We live in a wondrous time.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-19-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We do indeed! I listened to a show last week about this "kid". He is very mature for his being 19 years old and wants to make a difference for the world and make it more affordable to the afflicted. Using open source for programming will also make it easier for improvements. http://www.notimpossiblenow.com/the-...osthetic-limbs

Hope I'm not violating TOS.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Bruce,

That teen lives in SW Colorado. I saw a story about him on a television show recently. He truly is an amazing individual!
    Ken

Couldn't agree more Ken. Makes the future look pretty interesting.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Congratulations Ken. It's amazing what medical technology has done for you.

We do live in wondrous times. I've had hepatitis C for probably 45 years. When I was first diagnosed it was considered almost as deadly as AIDS. My MD suggested I take a drug cocktail 8 years ago that was FDA approved, but had lot's of side effects. I did lots of research, talked to a Gastroenterologist and decided to wait.
    Now they have new drugs with almost no side effects and near 100% cure rates.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Ken, thanks for sharing that. It took place right across the street from where I'm sitting now.

I thought of you my friend when I listened to it.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I read a story in the N Y Times about a boy who had no fingers on one hand . His parents couldn't afford a prosthetic hand. Someone made him a hand on a 3D printer, at a very low cost compared to a prosthetic. Truly amazing.
    Dennis

For sure amazing technology. As with Ken I wear a Cochlear also. It's amazing to go to bed a night deaf, get up take a shower the next morning deaf, then pop that Cochlear on and enter the hearing world in a few seconds. I was just telling my wife this morning it is truly a miraculous device.

I would love to be there the first time a lifelong blind person saw, simply wonderful.

Glad to hear its going well Julian.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It has crossed my mind that the text message system on cell phones must be a life changing invention for the profoundly deal that have never been able to use a phone.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris.....Before I retired, my wife used a cheap trac phone because she traveled a lot to visit family. After I awoke deaf one morning, I could not work for reasons of personal and equipment safety. 6 months later I was forced to retire. My wife chose to retire at the same time. The day we retired, we purchased smartphones for personal use. The only time we used them was when she was out of town. We could text and when either of us traveled, we could use the internet.

Believe it or not, using a telephone can be very difficult for some cochlear implant users too! It depends on the telephone you are using, the telephone the other party is using and the connections in between. Not all phones...even cell phones are created equal and that must be taken into account when a CI-borg buys a cell phone.

Yes texting is important as is voice recognition software.
    Ken

Without some of this medical technology life would be tough.

Without the screws and links in my back I would not be able to walk.

Without the high tech hip replacement, I would not be walking.

Without the MRI and CAT scans I probably would not be alive.

Yes, I am very grateful for these things.....

So many teens and 20-somethings are SOOOO good at this stuff. We will all benefit.