Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for all you folks with College students

I had my Gran daughter with me last summer when I was back home,(she's 19) we were going someplace can't remember where,she just saw a sign that said the town was 70 miles and ask how long till we got there , I said well were going 70 miles per hour so how long till were there. She says Gran Pa how long, I said you tell me, she says How am I suppose to know. I said hey were going 70 mph the town is 70 miles away how long till we get there . I was flabbergasted she could not figure it out.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I had my Gran daughter with me last summer when I was back home,(she's 19) we were going someplace can't remember where,she just saw a sign that said the town was 70 miles and ask how long till we got there , I said well were going 70 miles per hour so how long till were there. She says Gran Pa how long, I said you tell me, she says How am I suppose to know. I said hey were going 70 mph the town is 70 miles away how long till we get there . I was flabbergasted she could not figure it out.
    I'll just leave this for you here, Bert:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Think about how much money it cost to send the young lady in the video to school for twelve years of public school. She may have graduated but the system failed her, its a very sad situation.

Lets assume she becomes a hairdresser and she is supposed to dye your wifes hair. Per the instructions on a particular product she is required to mix 70% of one product with 10 percent of a second product and 20% of a third product.......what color would your wifes hair be?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-23-2015 at 7:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Lets assume she becomes a hairdresser and she is supposed to dye your wifes hair. Per the instructions on a particular product she is required to mix 70% of one product with 10 percent of a second product and 20% of a third product.......what color would your wifes hair be?
    If she gets the ratio wrong, she could burn the hair completely off of her head...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

To the OP: I wouldn't be even a bit surprised at the findings. In fact I suspect most of those kids who didn't seem all that serious were there just for the experience in interviewing. I do know for a fact that they are encouraged to go to interviews such as that to gain practice and get a feel for a real interview situation. That way they will be prepared for interviews they actually care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    To the OP: I wouldn't be even a bit surprised at the findings. In fact I suspect most of those kids who didn't seem all that serious were there just for the experience in interviewing. I do know for a fact that they are encouraged to go to interviews such as that to gain practice and get a feel for a real interview situation. That way they will be prepared for interviews they actually care about.
    After the fact, that was something I thought of. In fact, I tell my son the same thing, to interview as much as possible for the experience. Still, these kids (can you call a 21 or 22 year old a "kid"?) were miles away from being ready for the real world.

Someone early in this thread asked about the Older students. We were hiring pure, raw recruits, however some Master's candidates did stop by our booth just in case we had some other availability. They were indeed better spoken, better dressed and obviously of a higher quality. However, is that due to the additional maturity and schooling? Or is is due to the fact that Masters students are the top performers anyway?

Sad part is that next time we do this, I may be setting my bar lower because we need additional help. This will just dragging down the curve for everyone. :-(
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Dan,

My wife is a teacher at our local high school and the schools in or area stopped teaching cursive writing a long time ago so we have high school grads who have no signature. I expect some of them have to just print their name on various documents or convince someone to help them develop a signature outside of the school system.

I can't imagine going to a library and doing research that may contain documents written in longhand and having to ask someone to read it for you or to have to ask someone to read a letter you found from Grandma.....how sad is that this day and time. My children are grown but if I had young ones I would teach them to write in longhand myself rather then allowing them to live with such a handicap. Imagine your first day in college and having to tell your professor that you can't read what he/she has written on the board unless they use block letters.
    Interesting about the cursive writing, Keith. My daughter turns 13 tomorrow...she learned cursive in elementary (she is in 7th grade now). Honestly, from what I can tell, I'm relatively happy about what she is learning in school. I think that it might be too easy for her or maybe she is smarter than I give her credit for as she has been pulling a 4.0 since day one and she is in all the advance courses we can get her into. I'm waiting for high school to hit her...see how she does there.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.