Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unbelievable construction laws ; Read this!!

unbelievable construction laws ; Read this!!

Do they REALLY expect people to comply with this law ???

"Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays and 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays in areas zoned as residential, or in areas zoned business, industrial or non-residential where one or more of the property lines for the property on which the construction activity is occurring directly abuts or is adjacent to a residentially zoned property which is in fact being utilized for residential purposes. No construction shall be permitted on Sundays or on national holidays."

not sure how to read that. Doesnt make a lot of sense however you read it. it makes more sense if the first words said "except between'
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Do they REALLY expect people to comply with this law ???
    No, they just expect to rake it in on variance fees.

Really though, do you want to be woke up on a Saturday morning, or any other day of the week, to the sound of trucks backing up and the pounding of hammers?

I wish they had such ordinances against people using those infernal leaf blowers at 6:00 am.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You don't reference where this is a ordinance. State, Local, Federal?

Larry

This is a fairly common rule for builders although they are stricter than some cities. I don't know if it applies to someone working on their own home. I've certainly done work on Sundays with no complaints, but I am usually running nothing noisier than a circular saw.

I suspect the OP didn't post the entire ordinance.

Really seems straight forward to me, weekdays we always started work at 7am but did make an effort to not make a ton of noise before 8:00 / Saturday we'd start at 8am and keep it down at least until 9ish .... pissed off neighbors are no fun to deal with when you just woke them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

I wish they had such ordinances against people using those infernal leaf blowers at 6:00 am.

jtk
    In most of the towns around here that would surely get you a citation, those ordinances are in place and enforced. The town next door is discussing banning them completely, they've had a couple public forums to discuss writing an article for town meeting.

makes sense to me and I sure would hope that they would ban those leaf blowers, I really don't feel save anytime either
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

If this law/ordinance is about "disturbing the peace", it seems reasonable. Start work at 8am... Time to go home at dinner time. Take Sunday off. I work on the field a lot and, yes, I respect the laws but I also know it's miller time.

I, too, also suspect the OP didn't post the entire ordinance.

For those home builders in northern climates they like to work as many hours as they can during the warm months as there is little or no work in the winter. Many would work 12 to 14 hours a day 7 days a week if they could.

I wouldn't like it if leaf blowers were outlawed. I only use mine to clear off my driveway. I don't run it for long. It takes five to ten minutes to do the driveway a few times a month. My parents have a neighbor who uses his leaf blower at least five days a week in the summer for long periods of time. Those are the people that ruin it for those who are responsible users of leaf blowers.

Here is the whole Ordinance:

Sec. 26-128. - Unreasonably loud noise prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue, or cause to be made or continued any unreasonably loud, excessive, unnecessary or unusual noise. The following acts, among others, are declared to be unreasonably loud, excessive, unnecessary or unusual noises in violation of this section, but this enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, namely:
    (1)
    Horns, signaling devices, etc. The sounding of any horn or signaling device on any automobile, motorcycle, bus or other vehicle on any street or public place of the city, except as a danger warning; the creation by means of any such signaling device of any unreasonably loud or harsh sound; and the sounding of any such device for any unnecessary and unreasonable period of time.
    (2)
    Radios, televisions, phonographs, etc. The using, operating, or permitting to be played, used or operated any radio receiving set, television set, musical instrument, phonograph, or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of the neighboring inhabitants, or at any time with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing for the person or persons who are in the room, vehicle or chamber in which such machine or device is operated and who are voluntary listeners thereto. The operation of any such set, instrument, phonograph, machine or device between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. in such manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of 100 feet from the building, structure or vehicle in which it is located shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.
    (3)
    Animals, birds, etc. The owning, harboring, possessing or keeping of any dog, animal or bird which causes frequent, habitual or long continued noise which is plainly audible at a distance of 100 feet from the building, structure or yard in which the dog, animal or bird is located.
    (4)
    Whistles. The blowing of any locomotive whistle or whistle attached to any stationary boiler except to give notice of the time to begin or stop work or as a warning of fire or danger or upon request of the proper city or county authorities.
    (5)
    Exhausts. The discharge into the open air of the exhaust of any steam engine, stationary internal combustion engine, or motor vehicle except through a muffler or other device which will effectively prevent unreasonably loud or explosive noises therefrom.
    (6)
    Defect in vehicle or load. The use of any automobile, motorcycle, jet ski, water bike, recreational vehicle, dirt bike or motor vehicle so out of repair, so loaded or in such manner as to create unreasonably loud or unnecessary grating, grinding, rattling or other noise within a residential area.
    (7)
    Schools, courts, hospitals. The creation of any excessive or unreasonably loud noise on any street adjacent to any school, institution of learning, house of worship or court while the same are in use, or adjacent to any hospital, which unreasonably interferes with the workings of such institutions, or which disturbs or unduly annoys the patients in the hospital, provided conspicuous signs are displayed in such streets indicating that it is a school, hospital or court street.
    (8)
    Hawkers, peddlers. The shouting and crying of peddlers, hawkers, and vendors which disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighborhood.
    (9)
    Noises to attract attention. The use of any drum, loudspeaker or other instrument or device for the purpose of attracting attention by creation of any unreasonably loud or unnecessary noise to any performance, show, sale, display or advertisement of merchandise.
    (10)
    Loudspeakers, etc. The use or operation on or upon the public streets, alleys and thoroughfares anywhere in this county for any purpose of any device known as a sound truck, loud-speaker or sound amplifier or radio or any other instrument of any kind or character which emits there from loud and raucous noises and is attached to and upon any vehicle operated or standing upon such streets or public places aforementioned. It is provided, however, that this subsection is not intended to be construed in a manner that would interfere with the legitimate use of the foregoing loudspeaker-type devices in political campaigns.
    (11)
    Commercial power tools and landscaping equipment. The commercial operation of noise-producing lawn mowers, lawn edgers, weed trimmers, blowers, chippers, chainsaws, power tools and other noise-producing tools between the hours of 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. on weekdays, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. on Saturdays. No commercial operations would be permitted on Sundays and national holidays.
    (12)
    Shouting. Any unreasonably loud, boisterous or raucous shouting in any residential area.
    (13)
    Construction. This section shall not be construed to prohibit construction work that does not generate noise. It is intended solely to regulate the noise generated by construction activities.
    a.
    Definitions:
    i.
    Construction shall have the same meaning as given that term in the Florida Building Code (2007), as the same may be amended from time to time.
    ii.
    Adjacent means any receiving property separated by a street, alley, canal, and/or easement which is touched by a line drawn perpendicular from any portion of the property generating the sound.
    Construction shall be permitted only during the hours set forth herein. All equipment shall be operated in accordance with manufacturer's specifications, shall be in good repair and shall utilize all noise baffling methods as specified by the manufacturer, such activities shall occur only as follows:
    b.
    Between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. seven days a week in areas zoned as business, industrial, or non-residential, except as provided in subsection (13)c. of this section.
    c.
    Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays and 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays in areas zoned as residential, or in areas zoned business, industrial or non-residential where one or more of the property lines for the property on which the construction activity is occurring directly abuts or is adjacent to a residentially zoned property which is in fact being utilized for residential purposes. No construction shall be permitted on Sundays or on national holidays.
    d.
    Notwithstanding the provisions set forth in this subsection (13), the building official may authorize, in writing and in advance, any construction activity at a particular site within subsection (13)b. of this section at times outside of the allowable times up to the duration of the project.
    e.
    Under emergency circumstances only, the building official may authorize, in writing and in advance, any necessary construction activities outside of the allowable times on weekdays and Saturday abutting an occupied site within subsection 13c. of this subsection. Such authorizations may be granted for a period of time not to exceed 72 consecutive hours following the regular allowable time. Notwithstanding this subsection with respect to work on adjacent properties the building official may authorize work outside of the allowable times on any day except Sundays.
    The work authorized by the building official pursuant to this subsection may be conditioned upon notice to surrounding property owners and tenants. Any approvals granted pursuant to this subsection will not be interpreted as constituting compliance for any violation of this section that occurred prior to the issuance of the written approval. The work authorization may be revoked at the discretion of the building official at any time.
    (Ord. No. 2007-12, Exh. A(ch. XV, § 21(b)), 8-22-2007; Ord. No. 2011-01, § 2, 2-9-2011)

From the City of Doral, Florida.

Now, I can't see why someone can't do a little work around their own house that they pay TAXES on when it is a SUNDAY! I have planed lumber outside in my backyard on a SUNDAY MORNING, and never once have I ever had a Neighbor complain. As for the shut off time they have in that Ordinance, heck , the Sun does not set till almost 9:00 PM during the Summer.

What part of the ordinance is constraining you, and what activity are you seeing as difficult to comply with?

It talks about power tools, but only when used in a commercial capacity.

It talks about construction, but a hobbyist making a cabinet or table, for example, as far as I read it, don't apply here.

Are those CC&Rs? Our neighborhood has similar rules, although not quite so exhaustive. I believe that they allow construction starting at 7AM during the week. I think I need to try to limit my noisy woodworking tasks to the allowable construction hours. Sunday is quiet time. I can't wait until I retire, so I can do stuff mid week and in the middle of the day.

There are restrictions about commercial lawn mowing times, but homeowners seem to run their own equipment as soon as the sun comes up.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Obviously those are municipal rules, not HOA rules and typically are to prevent a contractor from running bulldozers and other heavy equipment adjacent to residential zones at times when folks typically expect a reasonable amount of quiet. But it looks like Doral FL might have taken the noise issue to the extreme.
    NOW you tell me...