Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unbelievable construction laws ; Read this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    This is a fairly common rule for builders although they are stricter than some cities. I don't know if it applies to someone working on their own home. I've certainly done work on Sundays with no complaints, but I am usually running nothing noisier than a circular saw.
    THIS! To make my point its -30 here this morning. Up here we have to make hay while the sun shines.

This is typical. The people that want the ordinance already have their homes and have already disturbed someone that was there before them, but now that they are there lets make it difficult and more expensive for anyone else.

That ordinance is so wide open to interpretation that the inevitable neighborhood pain in the tush could make someones life miserable just for fun.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-20-2015 at 8:00 AM.

Aside from the fact that it seems to be missing a couple of words, that looks very similar to most noise bylaws I'm familiar with.......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Now, I can't see why someone can't do a little work around their own house that they pay TAXES on when it is a SUNDAY! I have planed lumber outside in my backyard on a SUNDAY MORNING, and never once have I ever had a Neighbor complain. As for the shut off time they have in that Ordinance, heck , the Sun does not set till almost 9:00 PM during the Summer.
    I'm not sure why you think paying taxes would exempt you from the law?

If construction activities make noise, they're subject to the bylaws you provided.

Painting your fence or other quiet activities wouldn't be a problem.........Rod.

I suppose ordinances like this are in response to people that don't have any consideration for their neighbors, and will run noise-makers 24/7 unless prevented.

Around here this sort of stuff is rarely enforced, but is a tool in the event that law enforcement must get involved. So if your neighbors are okay with you running an electric paint scraper on Sunday to remove all the paint from your garage (as I did, so it could be repainted), you're free to do so.

If you push the envelope with the noise makers and they politely ask you to wrap it up for the day, and then you turn into a jerk, well then the men in blue can read the ordinance to you.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 02-20-2015 at 2:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    That ordinance is so wide open to interpretation that the inevitable neighborhood pain in the tush could make someones life miserable just for fun.
    That IS a problem. I had one of those neighbors when I first purchased this house. Even claimed there was an ordinance against outdoor security lights.

Sure was glad he moved.

OTOH, those ordinances actually HELP protect against jerks, in a way, because they specifically ALLOW certain times noise can be generated. It is a compromise but as long as you're working within the time frames allowed, they have little recourse.

I saw similar postings in Manhattan Beach, CA last summer. There was new/remodel construction everywhere. That community lives on another planet money wise. "In May of 2014 a 3,000 square foot piece of land sold on the Manhattan Beach "Strand" for a record breaking $16 million." -wikipedia
    -Lud

Agreed Phil, considerate people don't need rules.............Rod.

I live in a 3 million population metro area. I think pretty much every city and suburb has an noise ordinance restricting outdoor construction activity as to times of day. No Sunday work would be a major issue for the DIY types who only have the weekend to work on the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Aside from the fact that it seems to be missing a couple of words, that looks very similar to most noise bylaws I'm familiar with.......Rod.
    Me, too. I had the cops come to my place one Sunday when I had some people trimming a tree. They were using a chainsaw. The cop pointed out the ordinance to me. I was unaware of it previously.

However, I do think that restricting all noisy work on Sunday is a bit much. Sometime it's the only time you can get something done, or do it yourself. I do agree with the hours of 8 to 6 however, any day.

On leaf blowers, a couple of places around here have tried to restrict them but the push-back has been extremely strong. There's just no viable alternative - hand raking is too slow, and hardscape would have to be swept. Many places have put restrictions on the noise level of the blowers. I don't know how they can enforce that, though.

Most of the people complaining about the noise did not do their own yard work.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-20-2015 at 1:03 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My complaint about having a noise ordinance goes back many years. It all started when the Farmer that owns a parcel of land next to me was getting his Field Corn in with his tractors and Forage Harvester. It was late in the Season, and wanted to get the crops in before it rained, making that field impossible to get into until it dried out. He was working in that field until well past Midnight. Yes, it was a Weekend. I remember it well. Ended up that some of the neighbors complained due to the bright lights from the tractors and the noise. They had to be told that Farmers have a right to farm and harvest their crops .

Yep, that's always the way it works. People move next to an existing farm and then complain about the farm noise and odors. If the noise and odors are "normal" for a farm of that kind, I don't have much sympathy for the people who moved next to it. Too many people want to live in the "country" but they want a sanitized version of country living.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am working on the condominium in Ohio and never make noise prior to about 9:30. We might paint or do other activities in quiet but the radio doesn't even get turned on quietly until after 10:00 AM. Some folks might be sleeping. On the other hand, the high school puts out unbelievable amounts of noise in the neighborhood from six in the morning until nearly midnight. Nothing like having the second grade team playing an opponent at the varsity field and having the professional PA system call the play-by-play at six in the morning. And then the progress upward one grade at a time.