Thread: CNC Router Bits

CNC Router Bits

Some of you are much more experienced than we are so I was hoping you might be able to help us out with a question. To cut 1/8 inch hardboard or melamin, what router bit would you recommend to prevent chipping?

Zelma
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

I would use a down spiral bit
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0

Hi Zelma, depending on what you are doing with it, it sounds like a compression bit may be what you need to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuo_EfVka6s

http://www.onsrud.com/product/Item/m....html?q=60-100
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Paul, is compression going to do it with only 1/8" thick on the material? Most the compression bits we've used are in the .200"-.250" on the upcut spiral before they reverse direction.

I'd say down spiral or possibly even a straight bit for something that thin, yes, no, maybe????
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I would use a down spiral and have good sacrificial support under the melamine. Hardboard would not be an issue - its sawdust with really no layer to chip out. Ideally use vacuum clamping through lightweight MDF called LDF for the melamine..
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yeah, you are right, I missed the 1/8" part, I was thinking for thicker material, in that case you're right down spiral would be best, wouldn't you have basically the same problem though with chipping only on the backside or would it be minimized by the contact of the table surface? I've never cut it that thin.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Looks like down spiral bit is it. Thank you all very much!

. . . now let me see where did I put that catalog : )

Zelma
    God Bless,
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    wouldn't you have basically the same problem though with chipping only on the backside or would it be minimized by the contact of the table surface? I've never cut it that thin.
    Exactly, the table handles the bottom side, for the first cut, anyway It's rare that I use down cut. I'll use a straight, not not too often on the down cut.

That's also a nasty material to cut, I hate it. Makes my sinuses and eyes burn.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Maybe we'll try both . . . to see which works best on this. Thanks for all the replies, we will see how this turns out.
    God Bless,
    Texas