Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Butternut bowls

Prettiest butternut pieces I've ever seen--very nice. Have you ever tried hardening the wood. That's the only way I can turn soft or punky wood.

Gorgeous bowls. I've never turned butternut ... sorry to hear it's such a pain but clearly the results were worth it
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Prettiest butternut pieces I've ever seen--very nice. Have you ever tried hardening the wood. That's the only way I can turn soft or punky wood.
    Thanks, Robert. Rubbing with the walnut oil seemed to help some on the insides and may have he;ped make the grain stand out. I used the lacquer sanding sealer on the outside of the second bowl prior to the last pass. That helped more, but I should have thinned it more to get better penetration.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hinds View Post
    Gorgeous bowls. I've never turned butternut ... sorry to hear it's such a pain but clearly the results were worth it
    Thanks, Paul. I agree. I think I will leave any more butternut tothe wife for carving though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll try to answer your questions:

Mike, I used one of Dave's beading tools and a lot of sanding! I really like his beaders.

Prashun, no it was actually a focusing issue. I try to focus mid-bowl but I think my eye just picked up the rim. I shot these indoors, but usually use morning sunlight outside. These pictures were lighted with an LED Ottlight my D-I-L has. I use GIMP to crop and set white levels. I had to go back and scale most of these to get SMC to allow me to upload them.

Paul, that's what I paid for this billet.
    Thanks - those beaders look interesting. I watched the videos and Dave has mastered hand/tool control.

Mike

Very nice bowls Thom! I especially like the grain pattern shown on the first picture. You sure did a nice job on the beads, I think three look very attractive.

You might try thinned 2 part epoxy or poly resin(fiberglass resins) thinned with acetone. Rough out the form and soak in a vinyl bag --play shake & bake. Next day it turns like new wood with no color change. An old boat rebuilding trick. I'm sure I could turn a roll of toilet paper done this way.This has worked on a dozen spalt and palm pieces for me. There is a commercial version called Git Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    You might try thinned 2 part epoxy or poly resin(fiberglass resins) thinned with acetone.
    Acetone for the 2 part epoxy too? I have not had any luck thinning that stuff in the past, which is why I have used thinned lacquer sanding sealer.

I use the bulk marine stuff for this in epoxy. Poly resin is cheaper--just look for a clear product and like you say,thin generously for penetration. I also use thinned lacquer for semi-punky wood as it is stronger than SS.

Those are great bowls!...The first one is my favorite. No matter what it took to get them finished, it was well worth it!...Great job!