Thread: LightObject Latest LO-X7 DSP controller with color LCD display

LightObject Latest LO-X7 DSP controller with color LCD display

Hello,

Has anyone tried the new controller by LightObject? Does LightObject make their own controllers?

LO-X7 DSP controller with color LCD display $425

Thanks,
    Art

I just installed a x7 in a rabbit Hx1290. I replaced the leetro 6515. I also have a 608 in an old retrofitted ltt 18x24". The x7 is a real nice upgrade to the 608. The color screen is awesome! You get a preview of the current job and see the progress of the running job as well. The controls are nicer than the 608 as well. It takes fewer button presses to achieve common tasks like inching. Another nice touch is the USB port on the top of the controller with a rubber cover to keep the dust out. You can now connect a solenoid to the controller to enable air assist when cutting and turn it off when engraving. To me, that feature alone was worth the upgrade.

The more I use the new controller, the more I want to upgrade my 608. Marco from LO said he was going to introduce a new controller later this year with a touch screen and possible (he promised a print driver too- vaporware) greyscale engraving. Lasercad is stable and is starting to work out the chinglish. The layout in some of the menus still needs some work. Did I mention NO DONGLE!!!

Both controllers are manufactured by anywells. LO says that they have special firmware for the x7 but I think the only difference is a little bit of print on the controller that says LightObject.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

I know Marco at LightObject is a square shooter as I have dealt with him before. The big benefit when you buy from him, is he answers emails and has a Forum set up for laser users. The software is very well written and requires no dongle to work. I might upgrade my controller.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shaw View Post

Has anyone tried the new controller by LightObject? Does LightObject make their own controllers?
    The AWC608 and AWC708 are made by Shenzhen Trocen (Anywells) Automation Co.,Ltd

http://www.sztrocen.com/index.asp

Marco is Marketing the AWC708 as the X7. He has them with his brand on them.

If you live outside the USA as I do, they are sold by any number of suppliers for about $330

I have owned and used used both controllers. The 708 is the newest version.

As said it does have an upgraded display and is a little more electronically robust.

But most of the shortcomings of the 608 are still there.

The main board is pretty much a drop in replacement for the 608. Just a couple of connectors moved a bit.

The display panel is not. A bit bigger and nicer finished.

I am presently running a 708 and would not hesitate to buy again.

I just noticed the standard 708 is different from the LO x7 the controller. The LO x7 has a different layout for the buttons. I'm not sure if there are any differences in the functionality.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

I've been watching the LO DSP for a couple years with a bit of interest. Nice to see a new model availalble.

Is there a Corel plugin to send output directly from Corel, similar to the Leetro plugin?

Am I also reading the docs correctly that there is support for additional axes, e.g., ability to have a dedicated rotary device without having to unplug the X to plug into the rotary (and if so, does any of the software support such function)?

Thanks,
    Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Yes there is a pluggin for Corel draw and autocad.

I set up a triple pull, double throw switch on the y axis between the stepper driver and the main controller to send the stepper signals to the rotary axis. With this setup all you have to do is plug in the rotary axis and flip the switch. It has the added benifit of locking the y axis motor so it can't be accidentally moved. I installed my switch inside the laser so it wouldn't be triggered by kids on the outside.

Although I do not have Illustrator, I believe there is also a macro for that now, as well as the others mentioned.

And that is a LaserCad feature and quite independent of which controller you are using.

Chris,

Did Marco give any additional information about the new controller coming out later this year?
    You mentioned touch screen and printer driver.

If we are in the U.S., are we not allow to purchase the AW708 from anyone other than Marco? How about the route we all love (direct from manufacturer)?

There will be NO print driver. The "programmer" gave up on it. I think that was a big mistake. Here is a quote from Marco about the new controller:

Tech_Marco wrote:

I decided to post the LaserCad software and manual on the download section as 1: I can't stop someone from re-distribute it and 2: it cost me too much time and effort to send the software 7 one by one. So, here you go
    viewforum.php?f=55

This is a standard version LaserCad. A modified version with more feature LaserCad is under development and it can be applied to LO-X7.

A new DSP card will be launched sometimes on April. It may support 256 gray scale engraving (3D engraving). Also, a 7" touchscreen will be launched around the same time as well. For the touchscreen system, by adding a daughter board and a motorized laser head, a true auto sensing mechanism is available and one can take the advantage of the unique feature and capable to do curve object cutting or engraving. It is unlike auto focus currently installed on laser machine by moving up/dn the Z table. This dynamic auto sensing system change laser head distance against the object in real time vs a motorized laser head that attached to X gantry. The sensing device is developed by Germany. I'll get a sample for testing soon

Marco

Thank you Chris. Sounds like I will wait until April to make any upgrades. It is disappointing to not get a printer driver. Is LightObject the only upgrade that is not too expensive?

You could always get a leetro card but then you would be locked into lasercut with a dongle. There is ruida that uses rdcam but I don't know anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Corwin View Post
    I decided to post the LaserCad software and manual on the download section as 1: I can't stop someone from re-distribute it and 2: it cost me too much time and effort to send the software 7 one by one. So, here you go
    viewforum.php?f=55

This is a standard version LaserCad. A modified version with more feature LaserCad is under development and it can be applied to LO-X7.

A new DSP card will be launched sometimes on April. It may support 256 gray scale engraving (3D engraving). Also, a 7" touchscreen will be launched around the same time as well. For the touchscreen system, by adding a daughter board and a motorized laser head, a true auto sensing mechanism is available and one can take the advantage of the unique feature and capable to do curve object cutting or engraving. It is unlike auto focus currently installed on laser machine by moving up/dn the Z table. This dynamic auto sensing system change laser head distance against the object in real time vs a motorized laser head that attached to X gantry. The sensing device is developed by Germany. I'll get a sample for testing soon

Marco
    I believe the 7" touchscreen Marco was referring to is the RuiDa RDC6344G. It's here.

I know this thread is old but still don't see this listed on the LO web site. Any news about this thing? The motorized laser head?
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-9060. 60 watt.