Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memes

That is correct,Jim. Dawkins figured it out as a young boy while playing the game "telephone".

Help me out here - if I want to copy some of those posted here and send them to friends, how can I do that?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

monkey.jpg

Sorry.....couldn't resist
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I believe this is what you meant:

Dawkins Meme.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Help me out here - if I want to copy some of those posted here and send them to friends, how can I do that?
    Pull up the image, right click, click "save as" and select how/where to save. OR... on an iPhone click and hold, it will ask if you want to save the image.

Blog Entries
    Angry Cat is probably one of the most well-known (and easy to understand definition of) memes.

Plenty of pictures to choose from, but they're all of an angry looking cat. The idea behind memes is you repurpose those "generic" images to your own purpose, so long as you stick with the overall theme... in this case, anger, hate, etc. So, angry cat can be used to show discontent with another human (the slacker at the end of the hall), an object (objects that break on first use), a thought (annoying do-gooders who smile all of the time), an action (someone sneezing in their hand before shaking yours), etc.

Some have been posted already.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    monkey.jpg

Sorry.....couldn't resist
    Ouch................. That is gonna leave a mark...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

How is 'meme' pronounced?

Is it like 'meeeem' or is it like 'mem' ??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Meeymtaco.

(The taco is silent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Meeymtaco.

(The taco is silent.)
    That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while, thanks Jim!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Why is making fun of a TV personality off limits?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The idea behind memes is you repurpose those "generic" images to your own purpose, so long as you stick with the overall theme...
    The idea is that the image (without any caption) invokes a certain feeling or thought about the person or object (e.g. the "awkward Brian" Sawstop example... you look at the picture and see a kid who is unlikely to catch a break). To make it a meme, the original picture and idea have to go viral. For example, below is my example of "satisfied seal":

i1cp8.jpg

... but the original image was posted on reddit (which is where most of these memes start): http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment...ive_ever_seen/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    How is 'meme' pronounced?

Is it like 'meeeem' or is it like 'mem' ??
    Or is it meme or mimi?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

When I was looking at definitions the other day I didn't see anything about " has to go viral" to be a meme. How many people have to be there for the falling tree in the woods to make a noise?.....used to be just one.