Thread: Handsaw question

Handsaw question

Anyone recognize this handsaw and know the maker?

The medallion DOES NOT belong to the saw, so that is no clue.

It's in nice shape and probably 80 years old, judging by the other tools in the box with it.

The shape of the hand hole is unusual and I have not found one like it.

Jimsimons from box left.jpgsimons from box left handle.jpg

Looks like my Geo. Bishop handle.

I gravitate toward handles with fancy chip carving.
    They tend to be carefully made, and in better
    shape than contemporaries of lesser cost.

I don't think the high end saws were better made,
    they were just better looked after.

I find lots of D7s with almost no plate left,
    from the regular sharpening.

Finer saws like this one just got less use.

Thanks Jim, I'll try to find some images of Bishop handles. Actually as chip carving goes, this work is simple compared to a Disston No. 16 or No. 12. The plate on this one is quite heavy but has a nice ring to it and has had almost no use, judging by the depth below the tooth pitch stamp.

Anybody got a Bishop image handy?

Jim

I've been looking at Bishop saws and they seem to have the standard V in the hand hole, unlike my saw. In the image here, the red line outlines the V notch that most older handsaws had/have. My saw does not have that. The blue line outlines the standard bulge above a V notch. My saw has a pointed contour there.

saw handle common hand hole.JPGMy saw ---->simons from box left handle.jpg

Those wheat carvings are not really chip carvings. They were made with a high speed spindle "carver" which used rotary cutters to make the V grooves. The worker had to have skill,presenting the item to be carved freehand to this rotating cutter. And,he had to be VERY careful to not let the cutter get snagged on his clothing! They were used in furniture factories as well. You can see similar carving on old furniture from the 40"s. A very dangerous machine.

Jim,
    Your saw handle doesn't ring any bells for me. I assume the saw came to you without the original medallion. But can you see any traces of an etch on the plate itself?
    Last edited by Kim Malmberg; 02-21-2015 at 6:22 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

Kim, you are correct that the medallion was added by me. I ought to remove it before asking these questions.

There is not the faintest hint of a makers etch or stamp on the plate.

One distinguishing mark is that the plate seems to have been ground on a Blanchard type machine. The lines are arcs across the plate, while Disston, Atkins and other saws I have seen had the grind marks running the length of the plate, the circumference of the stone having been the working face. The plate is very smooth, the arc-shaped marks being very fine and clearly done by the manufacturer.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim

OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay,

Does anybody have a copy of
    Hand-saw makers of North America?

If so,I'd gladly pay you a couple of bucks to look through it and find a handle like mine, or not. I'd buy the book, but can't even begin to justify spending that kind of money on something that would not produce anything and that I couldn't at least eat.

Blog Entries
    Jim I think the problem is handle designs changed on many saws frequently, many handles being very similar. I think it will be very hard to identify the saw only from the handle. The closest handle I have to yours is on a No. 25 Bridge Tool Co. saw/Warranted Superior, which I doubt you will find in any hand-saw makers book. Many hardware stores, tool stores....had the major manufacturers make saws for them with their name on them. Even with an etch it may be hard to figure out who actually made the saw.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-22-2015 at 2:37 PM.

I agree it's not an easy ID. The only two things that can help are the nonstandard handle curves and the unusual/unique grinding pattern. I know Disstons, but not much about other makers. As for the hardware store labels, most of those saws were just the lower cost models from the big makers wearing a proprietary etch and a "Warranted Superior" medallion. But the handles were mostly the same as their blue-blood brothers--mostly...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay,

Does anybody have a copy of
    Hand-saw makers of North America?
    Jim. It is available for much less as a digital download on e-B-a-y.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

Thanks Kim, I'll look.

Jim

Found the ebook, but the seller/writer said there are not enough illustrations to identify an unmarked saw. So, I guess that book would be no help.

I just put the saw on eBay and left it for potential buyers to worry about.