Thread: timber frame table

timber frame table

First post here.
    Douglas fir with traditional timber framed mortise and tendon joints.
    42"x30"x108"
    Pictures of the breadboard ends and joining them to the top. The top has shrunk by two mm across the full width after being inside for one week.
    Looks like there is a test photo that got attached. Can't get it deleted. Ignore that one.

1424523537140.jpg
    IMAG4186.jpg
    IMAG4189.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic work on the table. Nice to see the use of softwood for a change. I bet you had fun moving that baby; hope you had some help.

Really cool design. I live in a timber frame house, it's a table version of my living room. Haha

it is not going to collapse, that is for sure. you only want 1 fixed pin on the breadboard. you could get a crack between the 2 fixed ones that you are showing
    ron

Expansion/contraction across 200mm is minimal. It is a risk/benefit equation. In the current scenario, the benefits of having two fixed pins 200 mm apart with a more rigid breadboard end is more desirable than the risk of developing a check. Yes, there is a risk of a check, but it is minimal across 200mm. The breadboard end is glued across that center portion and 20 mm beyond each fixed dowell.

Jeffrey,

Would you mind posting some pictures of the underside? Curious as to how you attached the top to the legs and frame, and how those diagonal supports tie in. Also did you mortise in a spline in the center of the lower rail and groove the diagonals to slip over it and the peg them to the spline?

Thanks!

I love the design, I've always had a love for all things timber frame!

Brian

"Stout" comes to mind! That's certainly not going to walk away buy itself. LOL

Really nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quite beefy and more design detail than some of that type have,nice. How will it be used?

1424707776552.jpg1424707909983.jpg
    Brian,

I, too, love all things timber frame! The large timbers speak volumes regarding the permanence of the structure, especially in contrast to the all too common particle board, osb, mdf, pvc, or whatever other acronym-named man made material. (These materials all have their place, and I have used all of them; but they contribute to the reality of our modern disposable, throw-away culture of cheap mass produced goods)

You are correct, the spline is mortised into the lower beam and pegged into the diagnals. At the top they have loose tendons into the upper subframe.

J

thanks for the extra pictures and reply Jeffrey!

table looks great...i bet that thing weighs a ton as well

Brian

I think I'd get under that in a tornado..quite a massive table. congrats on the build.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Spitler View Post
    Douglas fir with traditional timber framed mortise and tendon joints.
    42"x30"x108"
    1424523537140.jpg
    I like this but it is a beast of a table. Any idea what the weight of this is? Seriously it looks like it would take 4 people to move it.

Top is removable, that really helped with the move. I planned out the move and was able to do it with just one other person (my wife) and well-placed furniture dollies. Total weight I would estimate at about 350.
    I don't plan on moving it much.

I built a second one that is only approx 66" in length, for a school/craft table, that one is slightly more manageable.
    IMAG4174.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey Spitler; 02-26-2015 at 5:36 PM.