Thread: Cherry

Cherry

Some recent cherry platters and bowls have been sanded to 400, then cleaned and given a coat of Watco Danish Oil. I put the oil on, let it sit awhile, then cleaned it off with a dry paper towel. After the first coat I lightly rubbed it down with a 5000 grit synthetic pad and after cleaning off with a tack cloth, put another lighter coat on. I've done that three times and am not seeing much difference in the wood.

I know cherry can be blotchy and the wood will only soak up so much Danish Oil.

My question is could I spray a light coat of shellac over the finish once it's cured to get a little more pop?

Thanks for your help.

Dave Fritz

Shellac would be a poor choice if the platters are going to be used with anything wet. A wiping varnish or oil/varnish blend would be a better option. I know some people ditz it but Minwax Wipe On Poly looks mighty nice. I personally like Arm-R-Seal the best. Both are dead simple to apply and will build more or less film depending upon how many coats you apply.

John

I wouldn't put shellac over the Danish oil. Put on a couple more coats of the Danish oil. Once the sheen is even it has absorbed all it will. Some cherry does not pop.