Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice & Very Cherry

Practice & Very Cherry

I spend a lot of time carving feet on the Very Cherry bowl and wanted to try ebonizing the rim and dying the bowl. However, I didn't want to experiment on that bowl so I practiced on an other natural edge cherry bowl. I am glad I did as I got a little carried away torching the rim and didn't get to my water bottle before it made a notch in the rim. I dyed the second one slightly different but the practice on the first one was helpful. Both are dyed using red and yellow trans tint dyes.

This one is 10" x 8" x 4 1/2" and about 3/16" thick. Both are finished with Danish oil and Beall buffed.

cherry4348.jpg

This one is 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 5 1/2" and is also about 3/16" thick.

cherry4425.jpg
    cherry4421.jpg
    cherry4398.jpg

Wow, those are both very nice!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I'm loving those feet!

Nice feet - Love the toes!

Might be a bit tippy if used for fruit and someone removed a fruit from one side, but very nice appearance.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The feet actually look like feet!
    Be Blessed

George

Beautiful bowls.

Red
    RED

Those are so cool. The third picture looks like an elegant claw foot tub for a very small creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I'm loving those feet!
    Me, too. Did having four make it more difficult?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I am not typically a great fan of this style NE bowl but the feet (especially the toes) really set this one apart. And I love the color.
    i have not had the courage or patience or whatever to tackle any significant carving; one of these days perhaps and this piece could serve as a lovely model and target to aim for.
    well done!

Just another day at the Creek. Seems like every day someone post something way over the top cool, showing-off some mad skills. Thanks for sharing it Jim.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Thom, I'll have to limit it to grapes only.

Jon, my wife made the claw foot tub comparison too and from then on that's what it makes me think of.

Doug, I think it did make it harder, not so much because there was one more, but because there was less room between them.

Blog Entries
    Holly Molly that is really nice. Like the feet and toes.

Both very nice, but the 4 feet and toes are over the top. You got to love the oil finish on cherry. Nice.

The color does it for me on these. That is a great and uniform tone for cherry. Question though if you don't mind sharing - what is your technique for burning the rim? Do you clean up the inside and outside any after burning? Do you treat it with anything like CA so it doesn't rub black on everything it touches?

Thanks again for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    The color does it for me on these. That is a great and uniform tone for cherry. Question though if you don't mind sharing - what is your technique for burning the rim? Do you clean up the inside and outside any after burning? Do you treat it with anything like CA so it doesn't rub black on everything it touches?
    I used a propane torch on the rim of both. I had previously used that method on a birch bowl and it worked well. On the practice bowl I got a little carried away and it made the notch shown in the rim. It didn't catch on fire, but the embers didn't go out and smoldered. The rim on the cherry bowls seemed to burn easier than the birch. On all of them it didn't discolor the walls much. I brushed the edge with an old toothbrush and touched up the walls with fine sandpaper. I did have to touch up some light spots with the torch again. On the footed bowl after torching and brushing I touched it up with a soldering iron that had a wide tip. I just wish I'd have been more careful picking it up, my finger is healed up now though. I didn't treat it with CA, but tried to get oil on the bowl before doing the rim.