Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practice & Very Cherry

1. Jim, the feet on the bowl make it really nice, from a very nice bowl with no feet, to a gallery style bowl with the feet and a real standout. I'm sure someone would be willing to pay some good money for a bowl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Seyfried View Post
    Thanks again for the comments!

I used a propane torch on the rim of both. I had previously used that method on a birch bowl and it worked well. On the practice bowl I got a little carried away and it made the notch shown in the rim. It didn't catch on fire, but the embers didn't go out and smoldered. The rim on the cherry bowls seemed to burn easier than the birch. On all of them it didn't discolor the walls much. I brushed the edge with an old toothbrush and touched up the walls with fine sandpaper. I did have to touch up some light spots with the torch again. On the footed bowl after torching and brushing I touched it up with a soldering iron that had a wide tip. I just wish I'd have been more careful picking it up, my finger is healed up now though. I didn't treat it with CA, but tried to get oil on the bowl before doing the rim.
    Thanks Jim! I might just give this a shot in the near future. Been wanting to turn a natural edge bowl, but too cold to want to do anything in the shop!

love the feet design, very unique.

The first thing I think of on the feet is the beetlejuice scene where the statues come to life:

Something about your feet just make me think the bowl is going to start walking away, love it!
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

+1 on love the feet!
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Nice bowl made all the more distinctive and beautiful with those feet!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....