Thread: Four chip/dip platters

Four chip/dip platters

Here are some chip/dip platters I finished up this morning. The top two are Black Walnut, lower left is Maple and lower right is Willow. The Willow had a large bark inclusion that I filled with coffee grounds. It had lots of tear out and was a pain to finish but the wood was too beautiful to waste. I think it turned out great!
    The smaller Walnut one also had some great figure as well. They range from 12" to 16" across and about 2" tall. They are finished with a combination of beeswax and mineral oil.

cd1.jpgcd2.jpgcd3.jpgcd4.jpgcd5.jpgcd6.jpgcd7.jpg

I almost kept the Willow one for myself but I dropped them all off at Thompson Reuters gift shop this afternoon. I hope they sell!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

well done, Doug

love walnut but that willow is beautiful
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Very nice, should sell well. That willow would have had trouble leaving my house. The LOML would have claimed it. She still hasn't forgiven me for giving one to her sister because it was prettier than the replacement I turned.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very nice!

Red
    RED

Love them all. I'm sure they'll sell. I've been working on a design for a platter like this, but haven't finalized it yet. Yours are giving me ideas, though.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

It's a toss-up for me between the smaller walnut and the willow. I'd have to run a few bags of chips through each one to pick a winner. Nice job.

Wow, you have been busy. They all look great; I think they will sell quickly too. You must have more patience than me, I had some willow once and gave up on it before I even got the bowl roughed out. I think the inserts are a good idea too. In my opinion clear ones would be a slight improvement.

Thanks for the nice comments. If there wasn't so much going on in that piece of Willow I probably wouldn't have finished it. Between the inclusion and all the tearout, I bet I went thru almost a 1/2 bottle of thin CA. I do think it was worth the effort, though!

Jim, I need to look for some clear dishes. I bought some of these at Target and some at Wal-Mart but their selection is pretty thin. I think I may look on-line or check at the local restaurant supply store.
    Doug Swanson

Doug, Outstanding ... especially the willow. I keep one or two pieces a year. That would have been a keeper. I've favorited your post so I use your design ... hope that is ok.

Good looking platters Doug! Shouldn't have any problems selling! Kids help you out with the turning at all?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Jim, I need to look for some clear dishes. I bought some of these at Target and some at Wal-Mart but their selection is pretty thin. I think I may look on-line or check at the local restaurant supply store.
    Your chip/dip are great and your white dip bowls look like they belong. You might try looking at the "Dollar" stores for some clear bowls. I found some here in Fbg, TX that were a brand name but only $1 each, but limited selection. I do not remember a chip type, but found several that would work for candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    Doug, Outstanding ... especially the willow. I keep one or two pieces a year. That would have been a keeper. I've favorited your post so I use your design ... hope that is ok.
    I should have kept the Willow one but then my wife showed a picture of these to her boss and her boss wanted that one. Fortunately I email the gift shop and they still had it so now it will be going to my wife's boss. She has bought a few of my other things so I know she will appreciate it.
    I don't mind you using the design. I think I borrowed it from somewhere on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Good looking platters Doug! Shouldn't have any problems selling! Kids help you out with the turning at all?
    Thanks, Steve. Kids have been too busy with sports and school to help much. Fortunately they do like to clean up all the shavings!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Your chip/dip are great and your white dip bowls look like they belong. You might try looking at the "Dollar" stores for some clear bowls. I found some here in Fbg, TX that were a brand name but only $1 each, but limited selection. I do not remember a chip type, but found several that would work for candy.
    Never thought of the Dollar Store. I'll have to check them out. In the mean time I did find some decent clear bowls on Amazon. I'll try them as well and see if one color sells better than the other...
    Doug Swanson