Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planer Belt Soot & Oil Change

Received the new belts earlier and put them in today. The squealing, soot, and smell are gone. Thank you to everyone who helped!

if you replace the belts, replace all belts. And be sure the belts match. Not just the 'same size' but from the same batch. A pro in V-belts will know exactly what you need. Do Not just purchase at any old auto parts store.

I replaced all 3 belts. How can one be sure that the 3 belts are from the same batch?

I did some checking around to belt manufacturers websites. Apparently the RMA (rubber manufacturers association)has tightened up the specs for making v belts. And most of the belt companies claim to be making their belts to tighter specs than what the RMA has. So I could find only one company,Browning, which still puts match numbers on some of their belts.

So I guess after all is said your belts qualify as a matched set according to the manufacturers production specs.

Years ago the makers would put a set of numbers in small print close by the belt size on the belts. These numbers were used to pick out belts that would be used in a matched set. I haven't seen these numbers on belts for a number of years.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Thank you for the detailed response, Jerry. I just picked up 3 Goodyear belts that another DC-380 owner used on his machine with no issues. If they fail, they don't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira Matheny View Post
    if you replace the belts, replace all belts. And be sure the belts match. Not just the 'same size' but from the same batch. A pro in V-belts will know exactly what you need. Do Not just purchase at any old auto parts store.
    Modern manufacturing methods has eliminated the need for matched sets. If you buy all the same size belts by the same manufacturer you should be good to go. Automotive belts are not equivalent to power drive belts used on industrial type machinery. Leave the car belts at the auto store unless you are fixing you car.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute