Thread: Pistachio wood bowl

Pistachio wood bowl

Returned from a rough out I got from my cousin at highwestwood. Really interesting grain, he'd centered the rough out on the graft (both sides are pistachio - although different varieties - I have no idea which was up/down or the varieties).

This is my first exposure to pistachio wood, and I have to say its really quite nice to work with. Really quite hard but machines beautifully and fairly easy to polish up. I scored some other reject guitar fretboard pieces of it for carving kitchenware on which I'm quite anticipating doing now based on how well this piece worked out (its hard enough I was sort of dreading it before but it cuts so nice). The grain and color texture is pretty amazing as well.

9 1/2" across, 3" deep wall at about 3/16 with a 1/4" bead on the rim.

IMG_3499 copy.jpg

IMG_3498 copy.jpg

IMG_3497 copy.jpg
    IMG_3496 copy.jpg

Bowl looks nice, Ryan. The graft would have scared me a little. No trouble?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Never seen anything like it. Very interesting contrast for sure and like the overall form.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Bowl looks nice, Ryan. The graft would have scared me a little. No trouble?
    It looks like it should be a bit hairy, but its plumb smooth and solid there. Its not actually a crack at all but just a stain line at the join. I'd expect the end grain to go before the graft would.

Very cool bowl Ryan! I think the graft line makes the wood outstanding and very unique. Nice bead on the rim too.

I was drooling over just the pistachio wood, then you mentioned pistachio fret boards..... I saw one piece of it some years back. It was striped like Brazilian tulip wood, cream and pistachio green. I can imagine it on a guitar...

robo hippy

Love the shape and the colors are just spectacular to me. Just the kind of piece that makes wood turning fun and exciting....nice job!

what a nice bowl..the graft sure is eye catching. the shape & rim are delightful
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Man, that's a great piece!!...VERY unique!!....Well done!