Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember to shovel your sidewalk...

Remember to shovel your sidewalk...

Well, I would, but this is what the plow guy did to mine. I cleared what I could with the snowthrower, including going around to the other side, but I don't think that big pile is going anywhere just yet.

plow.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Sidewalk? What's a sidewalk? On the topic of snowplow guys, they got my mailbox again about 3 weeks ago. That makes 2 in 4 years. Grrrrr!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    they got my mailbox again about 3 weeks ago. That makes 2 in 4 years. Grrrrr!
    Can you set it up with a base about a foot high of concrete? The guy might hit it one more time, but that would be the last.

If all else fails, land mines!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Move to the country, its a simple task for a tractor with a front end loader.

BTW you cannot reinforce your mailbox beyond what is considered reasonable and customary. Several court cases in the past have found homeowners guilty of causing children to be injured when they were playing mailbox baseball and got hurt when they destroyed their mailbox. This is a topic that is pretty common on the welding forums.

Well I think concrete reinforcement is reasonable when the plow truck keeps wiping it out or the kids keep playing baseball with ti LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You guys completely lost me. I have no idea of what you speak..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You guys completely lost me. I have no idea of what you speak..........
    Kent
    There is an age old battle between homeowners and plow drivers. The homeowner spends money and time to put up a nice mailbox and the plow guy wipes it out in the winter time. In the springtime you go to the town and unsuccessfully try to get them to pay for your mailbox. It's a tradition here in New England.
    Keith is right though, if you reinforce that mailbox so that it damages a plow, you may end up paying for the damage to the plow.
    A mail box on a swing post works well, mine is,but the box itself can still get whacked.
    Our plow guy is aware of the mailbox. SO much so that he angles his plow blade away from it on the first pass, and on the return plows everything to the opposite side of the street, or more succinctly, both passes end up in my driveway.:roll eyes:

I don't have any sidewalks to shovel, but I've spent two days on the roof(s) clearing snow, and then moving it away from the house. I am tired right now.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-22-2015 at 3:37 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

This will keep everyone away from it.

S&Wmailbox2.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    This will keep everyone away from it.

S&Wmailbox2.jpg

The always-reliable Myk................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Kent
    There is an age old battle between homeowners and plow drivers.
    MIke - I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

I have to tell you, though - mine was a wise-guy-from-Atlanta cheap shot about the entire concept of shoveling snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The always-reliable Myk................
    LOL.
    What I'm wondering is if a plow pushed that from the other side of the road. That's illegal in Michigan.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

We had our box damaged one year and much to our surprise the township came with a new one even though we never filed a claim. They said that they knew that it was one of their plows that destroyed it.

I lived in Oswego NY for two Winters about three blocks from the edge of lake Ontario in the mid 1980's. The annual snowfall at that time was 326" per year. I saw so many mailboxes destroyed I couldn't believe it, the plows can't see the mailboxes after the first few snowfalls. Street signs up there must be at least ten to twelve feet tall

We moved to Oswego in late May and the state had just started disassembling the plows for Summer maintenance. Even when the plows were disassembled they were huge and I had to ask someone what the heck they were. Once the guy at work stopped laughing at me he told me they were snow plows and when they were reassembled in the fall I would recognize them which I didn't.....we don't have snow plows the size of small Navy ships here in Virginia. I later found out that Oswego County owns more snow plows than exist south of the Mason Dixon Line. The largest plows can clear 8 lanes at a time and they look like a football stadium coming down the road with huge lights that can make dark disappear

The temperature in Oswego at the time averaged about -30 degrees F around the clock all winter long so the snow never went away. It was white all Winter long and that was something else I never dreamed existed. Geez I got an education during my time in Oswego, I could tell you some very funny stories about the Winter weather education Southern Boys received from the Yankees in upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Move to the country, its a simple task for a tractor with a front end loader.
    And give-up the filth, noise, and crime?

This is what is needed. A swing away mailbox.
    http://www.mailswing.com/

Up nort mitchigin they install the mailboxes on a 10' long swingarm.