Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jonter/Planer Combo

I have the hammer a3 31 with the silent head. I tried a few other machines and I wasn't really crazy about their inserted heads how they chop at the wood. The hammers Healy coil head cuts more like a gradual knife. At the machine I have to reduce my CFM from 1900 to 700 to keep the shrouds in place. The hammer a3 31 I would consider a great hobbyist machine. It only has one acme thread keep in the planer level. This is a problem if you do not have a out feed and infeed tables that are adjustable or a helper. Heavier longer boards give a gradual snipe as the weight cocks the table a tiny bit. If you go up to the Felder line they have two guide pins to prevent this cocking. They have a little bit bigger of a head in diameter and instead of two rows of inserts they have three rows of inserts. For dust extraction it is 118 mm attachment. I made a quick connect using black 4 inch drain pipe coupling. I turned out the inside of the coupling to 118 mm. I clamp a 5 inch flex hose to the outside of the coupling. No matter what machine you purchase you will want a minimum of a real 600 CFM minimum and a quick connect coupling for the changeover .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    You need to check out the SUVA guard, that Martin outfits its machines with.. The bridge guard folds down, so it reduces how much the bridge guard is in the way..
    Robert, are you aware of a US supplier for SUVA products? If so, I would love to have that info to pass on to customers.

SCM supplies a SUVA clear guard for the riving knife on a few of the bigger Minimax sliders but as usual, you have to go through Parts to get it and there is their markup on it. I would love to be able to tell guys where to buy this stuff directly if there is such a source here in the States.

Thanks,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Robert, are you aware of a US supplier for SUVA products? If so, I would love to have that info to pass on to customers.
    Eric, I don't know of any US supplier of Suva.. I do know that Martin does/did offer the Suva fold down jointer bridge guard as an option on their T54 jointer, I thought it was the coolest bridge guard I ever saw. IIRC the guard costs about $1500 - 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Eric, I don't know of any US supplier of Suva.. I do know that Martin does/did offer the Suva fold down jointer bridge guard as an option on their T54 jointer, I thought it was the coolest bridge guard I ever saw. IIRC the guard costs about $1500 - 2000
    Yeah, that's basically what I know as well. I think Felder might also sell the segmented bridge guard as well but as for the other stuff, UK is the closest I can find any dealer. A shame, really: It's the "Aigner" of blade guards. Maybe I should take a business trip over there, buy a container of it, then re-sell it over here. LOL

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have the A3-31 with spiral cutter head and a Dust Gorilla. I love it. I have not seen any snipe as long as long boards are supported on the outfeed. I have not noticed planer bed deflection even when running my benchtop slabs (11"x5"x8') through it. The only annoying aspect of these combo machines that I've noticed is having to keep raising the infeed and outfeed supports when planing long boards, but that is the nature of the beast. I do not have the outfeed support that attaches to the planer table, but may get it eventually.